Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Schmooey
Channel Surfer

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

We consumers should NOT have to do anything, but after 7 months of connecting issues, with me reinstalling/rebooting 3 Roku & my modem/router - when my internet provider was at my home for a non-related service call, I mentioned 3 of my 4 Roku are having disconnecting & reconnecting issues. He said I can fix that - he  installed an upgraded router separate from their modem/router. 5 months later, zero issues. 

0 Kudos
dudubraun
Channel Surfer

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

I plan to try a third party wireless modem as well, (with extenders) like Amazon Eero or Google Wifi as well. Additionally, in light of Amazon's liberal return policy, I have ordered a Roku Ultra, intending to wire it. (Guess I am a glutton for punishment...) However, based on another post here, I may not have to. I plan to try it without wiring and see how it goes. It SOUNDS like this is a Roku Premiere-specific issue. We'll see. Again, my issues with Roku Premiere started only a few weeks ago. Luckily, I also have a Chromecast which streams content (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Peacock, etc) from my iPhone FLAWLESSLY. Unfortunately, Apple TV is not yet compatible with Chromecast. (Though I read it will be sometime this month.)

0 Kudos
okulo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I first had the problem using an ISP supplied Zyxel wireless modem router and replaced it with a Netgear D6400 but the problem persisted so don't bank on the problem being fixed by changing your router.

CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

True that. I also changed routers to no avail. Changed Roku devices as well. Do not count on Roku fixing it. They apparently let all their knowledgeable people go during the pandemic and they now have 8th grade interns trying to figure it out. Roku has been passed up by the future. They didn't stay on top of their game. Now all of their old technology is not capable of handling today's speed apparently. So many have posted issues, and almost every time you get, "Reset your router and all of your WiFi equipment in your home." When you report back that it didn't work, you are "ghosted." It's as if Roku shipped out their customer service to the 7-year olds making shoes in China. On their 3-minute lunch breaks, they respond to Roku technical issues.

0 Kudos
okulo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't see how Roku can fix it. As I said earlier, if the Roku cannot connect, how can a firmware update be installed? As far as I am aware, the USB port is for power only.

0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It will connect, just not very fast and not very stable. Over time, the update would be made. It would just give a lot of errors about connection along the way. Highly suggest staying away from Roku devices... on the Roku community page. Kind of proves that even if they could fix it, they really have no idea that it is happening. Either the engineer is a narcissist who believes he/she is never wrong, or they don't have one capable of knowing what to do about it. I've been moving to Amazon slowly. Eventually, I'll phase Roku out completely. I'll probably even put an Amazon stick in a Roku TV.

0 Kudos
dudubraun
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am able to intermittently connect and it says my software is up to date (9.4). So if there WERE a firmware update, theoretically I could get it. I might also add here that we have U-Verse gigabit, regularly getting 300+ Mbps down and almost as many up. Again, everything else works fine. Roku Premiere is the only device giving me issues.

0 Kudos
okulo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Quite a lot of the comments in the 18 pages of this thread are from people (like me) whose Rokus cannot connect at all. However, I now have two 'vintage' Roku Streaming Sticks which both work for now.

0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

That's definitely an issue as well. The best you can hope for with Roku is a temporary ability to use it. It's like the first Hyundai that came out. Worked really well for 9,000 miles and then kaput. You need to go buy another car. Roku is the Commodore of the WiFi world. It definitely had its run. You would think they would at least try to reverse engineer Google, Amazon or Apple to see how they did it.

0 Kudos
LARamsKing
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Exactly the same here too.  Nothing seems to work!  Time for an Apple TV I guess.....

0 Kudos