Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greggbegell
Reel Rookie

Intermittently losing internet connection

Jump to solution

I have 3 ROKU units. One of them intermittently loses internet connect. The other 2 units still have internet connection, so it's not the router. I've been able to reconnect after going through the setup procedure but it usually takes 5 or 6 tries. It's losing connection more often lately. Is the unit burning out???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Intermittently losing internet connection

Jump to solution

@greggbegell 

The Settings/System/About info was regarding your model number in this instance. (3930x).  It also tells you if you are seeing an IP address and MAC addresses (which helps determine network function).

Since you have the 3930, and you are also using a cable ISP (AT&T), you will likely need to change the "Wireless Mode" (Wi-fi Mode) under your 2.4ghz Wireless Settings to b/g/n in your router.

The instructions for making this change are here for that particular router. (look at the "Access and verify gateway settings" section on the page).  https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1046181/

----

Some firmware updates to these cable ISP routers, coupled with the older hardware in the 2.4ghz-only devices like the Express 3930 are causing both connection/reconnection issues if the Wireless Mode is set to anything other than b/g/n (need all three of these speed protocols enabled in router settings).

You should be good to go after that.

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@greggbegell 

What are your Roku model numbers (Settings/System/About)?  Both the working ones and the non-working/suspect one.

Also, what is router model number and who is ISP (internet service provider)?

-----

If you move the suspect device to a different location (ie. location of a working Roku device), does the issue resolve itself, gets a little better, makes no difference at all, worse?

0 Kudos
greggbegell
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

AVSGUNNER

That's for the response. I have a ROKU Express model 3930RW. My router is an ATT model # 5268AC FXN.

What data do you need from Settings/System/About.

BTW - after trying to connect to the internet yesterday over a 4 hr period (1/2 dozen tries every 30 - 45 minutes) it connected on the last try. I was getting ready to remove it and relocate it to one of the other units. It still works today, it's just a question of how long. I'm guessing the data from the (Settings/System/About) only helps when the unit won't connect???

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@greggbegell 

The Settings/System/About info was regarding your model number in this instance. (3930x).  It also tells you if you are seeing an IP address and MAC addresses (which helps determine network function).

Since you have the 3930, and you are also using a cable ISP (AT&T), you will likely need to change the "Wireless Mode" (Wi-fi Mode) under your 2.4ghz Wireless Settings to b/g/n in your router.

The instructions for making this change are here for that particular router. (look at the "Access and verify gateway settings" section on the page).  https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1046181/

----

Some firmware updates to these cable ISP routers, coupled with the older hardware in the 2.4ghz-only devices like the Express 3930 are causing both connection/reconnection issues if the Wireless Mode is set to anything other than b/g/n (need all three of these speed protocols enabled in router settings).

You should be good to go after that.

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help.

greggbegell
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

AvsGunner

I'll give it a try and provide an update.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JimO59

Jump to solution

I am having same issue. 

running on an Eero 5Ghz connection. Intermittently losing connection when wireless signal is excellent. 

0 Kudos
JimO59

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 4630X Roku Premiere+ running Software version 11.5.0 build 4312-29. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@JimO59 

First thing is to just restart all your network equipment (modem, router, extenders, etc).

If your Eero model is capable of DFS compatibility (using channels 52-140), disable the use of them in your router settings.  Roku cannot see or use DFS, and will disconnect each time the router changes to a DFS channel if set to "Auto channel selection".

0 Kudos
Mroach02

Jump to solution

I have a 3941X with same issues ... all other devices are remaining connected but this Roku keeps dropping. Multiple restarts, unplug/plug with power and HDMI cables have not helped. Can this Roku just be shot? It's relatively new.

mike

0 Kudos