Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku not finding any wireless networks

Hello Kariza and Roku support team,

I am experiencing the same issue as many who have posted on this thread.

I am using Roku 3900X with an Xfinity XB6 Advanced Gateway router (5 Ghz).

I have tried factory resetting the Roku device, as well as my router, but my Roku device is still unable to locate my router (as well as nearly every other router in my building).

According to Xfinity's website, I am unable to adjust the settings on my router:

"Advanced WiFi settings for gateways with this software enhancement are not visible and cannot be managed from the Admin Tool or Xfinity xFi."

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @jerseycityJT

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

If you have a Comcast/Xfinity modem/router, some customers have reported that going into the router settings and changing the wireless mode from g/n to b/g/n resolves the issue. Consider giving it a shot. 
If you need help on how to change your router settings, feel free to contact your internet service provider.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jerseycityJT 

Unfortunately, in those circumstances where the user cannot make changes to the router, you will need to contact Xfinity and tell them to "enable wireless mode b/g/n on the 2.4ghz band in your router".

Short of that, you can purchase a newer Roku device that has dual-band capability (capable of using both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz network bands).  That way, you can use the 5ghz band of your network and not worry about the 2.4ghz band issues between cable ISP networks and Roku 2.4ghz devices.

The current line of Roku devices on the Roku website are all dual band.  If you go with another Express HD, just make sure the model number is 3960.  (all other Express HD/non-4k models are single band 2.4ghz only).  https://www.roku.com/products/players

You can also buy Roku at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, etc. as well if you go this route.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@jerseycityJT you may need to do the same thing I did. Put your Xfinity Gateway in Bridge mode and use your own router. Yes. it's an extra expense, but you then have complete control of your WiFi settings. Your Roku 3900 only has the 2.4 GHz radio, so there's nothing to be done with the 5 GHz radio. Make sure Comcast didn't turn your 2.4 GHz radio off, as they have for some other users.

And as @AvsGunnar mentioned, Comcast support can still go in and change the settings that you don't have access to. But in the long run I wager you'd be much happier buying a good dual band router and using the Xfinity modem in Bridge mode. I simply wanted to be able to have complete control of my settings, and Comcast will not give you that if you are renting their modem.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JO2052

Re: How to fix Roku not finding any WiFi or Wireless networks

I had to go into the network settings and add a "private connection."  I went into my router settings and used the SSID listed (your router "name."  Then enter your wifi password (if you use one).  Worked like a charm....after 3 calls to 3 separate companies  and unplugging/plugging in everything and moving my router.  

0 Kudos