Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seabreez11

Error 003 - Can't update software

The solution to error 003 is to use another wireless/internet device (hotspot, mobile jetpack or a neighbor's Wi-Fi with permission) to update software as a workaround. Roku connects to my network without issue but could not perform software update.

Another community member states to remove device(s) from Roku account, but I don't think it's necessary to update software as this was a network connectivity issue.

4 REPLIES 4
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error 003 - Can't update software

Correct: 003 is a network error. Removing the device from the user account would be of no help.

Since it's working via an alternate Internet source, that generally points to an issue with your home wireless connection. In particular, if your ISP is a cable company, some of them have been pushing an update to your modem that changes the 2.4 GHz radio mode to G/N Only. Due to a software issue with the modem, Roku devices don't like that setting. Instead, the Mode needs to be set on B/G/N. If your ISP has you locked out of making that change, you need to contact their tech support to get it accomplished. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
cc123
Channel Surfer

Roku respectfully gives you the option to update or replace your Device/software.

Then reminding you in RED Keywording, to relate data underwriting.

K, so my question is, as a continuous issue of training up for free?

What and who do all of us subscribe to?

Tubi, in fact, is hands down on the streaming platform.

yet, Roku has us all running hopefully as strong eh...

0 Kudos
Ram1985

It is automatically connected to an xfinity wifi that has no cloud. How do I change the wifi?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Ram1985  If you have Comcast/Xfinity Internet service, you have a modem that is also your router. You can adjust it several ways. There is an Xfinity app for your phone, there's a web site, and you can log into the modem itself. However, if you lease your modem, Comcast has locked some of the settings so you cannot change them. For example, you can't change the channel number, the mode the radio uses, and a few other settings. You have to contact Comcast support and have them make the changes. My experience with them isn't that great, so I put the modem in Bridge mode and added my own router to handle the WiFi and firewall functions. It's an additional cost (although only one time), but I now have complete control over my WiFi settings and Comcast can't touch them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos