Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dvburnsii
Binge Watcher

Different power-on modes?

After factory resetting my Roku a few weeks ago I have noticed some different behavior with how the unit powers on. When I would turn my tv/roku off in the passed and then return at a later time the Roku would perform a full power-on where the Roku loading screen would have a bouncing logo. Now after resetting the Roku loads with a still roku logo and not a bouncing one and takes a much longer time to reconnect to the WiFi after finally loading.
Can anyone explain to me what these different loading screens indicate?

David V. Burns II
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Different power-on modes?

So it sounds like you’re using your TV as a power supply, and your TV shuts off its USB power when the TV is “off”.  ??  I’m guessing most people here plug their Rokus into the AC adapters, and so they rarely or never get turned off.  So, a lot of us, have really only experienced a couple of reboots separated by years.

You might want to consider leaving your Roku powered all the time (that’s they way it expects to be be) and then hopefully you won’t have to wait for long reconnects.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Dvburnsii
Binge Watcher

Yes, my Roku is indeed plugged into the USB for power from my tv as well as the HDMI slot of the tv. What I am still curious about though is what these different Roku loading screens mean because you see the Roku is connected the same way it has always been. It is only the operation of the Roku that seems to be affected. What gives you reason to believe the Roku should always remain powered on?  Not that I doubt you but I would simply like to know.

P. S. I have followed your advice and plugged the Roku into an outlet. I have turned bandwidth and power saving off in Roku settings. I am still seeing the led power light turn off after a moment when powering off the tv. This led light when first purchased would stay on permanently when I deactivated power saving and not when enabled. So you can see how all these inconsistencies make it very confusing when trying to diagnose the unit

P. S. S. I am now seeing the entire UI menu on the Roku has changed as well as the Roku Live TV application is freezing whenever commercials play.

David V. Burns II
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

On powering through the AC adapter, there’s usually a tiny note in the tiny pamphlet that suggests connecting it that way “for the best experience”.  Some TVs don’t supply quite enough power to the USB leading to really bad random experiences, and in other cases, I guess the bad experience is just having to wait for it to boot.

The lights do seem to have different behaviors on different models, connections to different TVs, software versions…  I no longer pay attention because the behavior has changed a few times.

They do change UIs now and then.  And some people get “test versions” without asking for them.  For example, a few weeks ago, some people’s icons went from rows of 3 to rows of 4, and got a continue watching line on the home screen, but then the test was withdrawn.

I can’t say anything about Roku Live TV or commercials as I use neither.  You might have better luck starting a second thread with that description in the title.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Dvburnsii
Binge Watcher

Sounds good. I appreciate your input and other problems aside I do think it fixed some of the issues I have been facing. 

Case closed! v( *o*)9

David V. Burns II
0 Kudos