Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bklyn-76
Channel Surfer

Connectivity issues and unable to do system updates

For the past few months I’ve had problems with Roku not connecting to the internet, being extremely slow and have been unable to perform a system update after trying multiple times. It’s saying my last system update was in February. I’ve deleted some apps, upgraded my internet twice, got a new router and my internet company checked the connection and says everything is fine but the problem persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Connectivity issues and unable to do system updates

Hi, @Bklyn-76 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We came across your post where you mentioned that you are having an issue with the network on your Roku Roku Streaming Device, and we'd be glad to help. For this issue, we recommend performing troubleshooting steps to address the problem at hand. Kindly follow the steps below:

Restart your Roku

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

Restart your network connection

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Advanced system settings
  4. Select Network connection reset
  5. Select Reset connection

After the network reset is done, your Roku device will restart and you will need to return to the Settings menu and set up your wireless network again. It is also recommended to restart your network modem/router for better results.

Once all of the steps mentioned above have been performed, please check if you notice any improvements. If the issue persists, please provide the details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Your response would be much appreciated. 

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bklyn-76
Channel Surfer

Hi and thank you for your response.  I followed all your recommendations but the problem still persists. Here are the items you requested.  ROKU DEVICE MODEL TCL MODEL 43S435,  SERIAL NUMBER X00000VTY8K8, DEVICE ID S02STO8TY8K8, SOFTWARE VERSION 12.5.5 build 4174-93

0 Kudos
Bklyn-76
Channel Surfer

Tracker ID K8-243-454

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Bklyn-76 

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We'll take note of the information you have brought to our attention, and we'll make sure to forward it to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

In the meantime, we'd like to request follow-up information on the issue you've encountered.

• Internet Service Provider (ISP): Who do you get your internet service from (e.g., Xfinity, Spectrum)?
  • Router/Modem Brand & Model: What brand and specific model of router and modem do you have?
  • Specific Error Code.

We hope that we'll hear soon from you, and appreciate your patience and understanding as we work on this,

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bklyn-76
Channel Surfer

My internet service provider is PA.net CTI Networks. It's DSL through Verizon. 

My router was just purchased from that company recently and the brand is Century Link Model # C1100Z

Error code 009 when I go to check my internet connection even though the screen says I'm connected.

Thanks very much for the assistance. 

0 Kudos
Bklyn-76
Channel Surfer

I did a factory reset as recommended by my tv company TCL and now it won’t let me proceed, it gets to the update loads it 100% then keeps saying unable to update after trying repeatedly.
0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Bklyn-76 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand that your Roku TV is having network connection issues, as well as won't update. For the error code 009, this code means your Roku TV is connected to the router, but not able to connect to the internet. If no connection exists, contact your ISP for help.

Additionally, you can reset your Roku TV once more to be able to set it up again one more time to see if it updates. Also, you can try to connect to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you're able to complete the update process.

Keep us posted on how this works.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bklyn-76
Channel Surfer

Hi. I did contact my ISP and they checked the signal and said everything was fine. I even upgraded my speed and purchased a new router but that did not help either. As far as resetting the Roku TV, it will not let me do that since doing the factory reset. It won’t go past the step of trying to install an update. It won’t let me set it up, it just gets stuck there.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.