Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shamara
Reel Rookie

Re: Cannot reconnect to Wi-Fi network

I’m having the same issue with a new TCL Roku tv that was delivered today. Apps took forever to download. They have finally downloaded, but nothing will work. My internet is very fast and is working fine. My other TCL Roku tv’s are working fine, except the new one that was delivered today. 

0 Kudos
Seafarer1
Channel Surfer

Yes, I got a Roku Ultra and it works great. I hated to have to buy a new device just to keep the service I had, but now I am watching again. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Seafarer1 

The Roku Ultra is a dual band device. (capable of connecting on either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band of your network, and it is also ethernet capable, bypassing wireless settings)

Chances are it is connecting to your 5ghz connection rather than your 2.4ghz.

----

For those in this thread with single band Roku devices (2.4ghz band only), you will either have to verify that your 2.4 ghz settings are configured properly or update to a dual band device (all the newer Roku devices like Roku Express 4k/4k+ and Streaming Sticks 4k/4k+, Ultra, Streambars are now dual band.).

When using the 5ghz connection for your Roku device, you will have to verify that your router/network is using a non-DFS wireless channel set to 36-48 or 149-161 (if Roku does not see 5ghz connection) or use an ethernet connection.

---

@Shamara 

Since the RokuTVs are also dual band, you can try switching the band that it is connecting on and see it performance improves.  Additional step is to change the wireless channel it is currently using. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Shamara
Reel Rookie

Hi! Thank you for the response. I restarted my WiFi router and once it came up, I re-entered my info and the tv connected and works. 

0 Kudos
azun
Reel Rookie

I am having exactly the same problem (014.30) and also have Cox. I returned from the holiday, there had been a power outage while gone, and my Roku won't reconnect to the internet with the remembered password and have reentered it multiple times. I also did a both a regular reset and a full factory reset of the Roku and reset the Cox router multiple times. I checked on Panoramic that it is the 2.4 ghz network. I also tried the "disable network pings" trick in the secret menu that is mentioned on this forum in response to this problem. All my other devices are connected to Cox just fine. Funny thing is, I put my phone on airplane mode and turned on my phone's hotspot (to force the hotspot to come from my wifi not the tower's 5G) and the Roku will connect just fine to my phone hotspot...which is drawing its wifi from the same Cox 2.4 ghz network.

I have no idea what else to do to solve this problem but if anyone else can help I would also appreciate it!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@azun 

You will most likely find that the issue is the Mode/Protocol setting that is causing problem with Cox and Xfinity/Comcast routers and the 2.4ghz band.  You will need to verify that it is set to b/g/n rather than g/n.

It has affected users in the last few months as more users are receiving firmware updates to their routers.  You will need to access the Wireless Settings of your router via the Cox app or their login portal for the router, Edit the 2.4 ghz settings to reflect b/g/n, and then restart both your router and your Roku.

Feel free to post an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
azun
Reel Rookie

That fixed it, thanks!! And @Seafarer1 your old Roku will still work, all my devices still connect to both the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz Cox networks just fine after switching from g/n to b/g/n! It was already on b/g/n before anyway, that's why the Roku used to work, they just did an automatic system update and updated the wifi mode in the process 

same here happen to mine this morning i also have cox called them everything is fine on internet end.did factory reset on my roku it connected at first lagged on show now its not connecting again,

0 Kudos
RJ71

Exactly the same issue with Romulo Express.  Ope we get a solution.

0 Kudos
jmbraben
Binge Watcher

Spoke to chat...refer to this thread

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.