Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
R0KUBLOWS

Cannot mirror/cast from pixel 4a to roku

Jump to solution

I have vision problems where the browser app fonts are too small to read without sitting within a foot of the tv. I require the use of my device (pixel 4a) to type web addresses and use tv browser as I can read the results from it. Roku does seem to promise this feature and so I bought it. Now it seems Roku is utterly useless for this?

Have I purchased Roku in error or is this supposed to work?

There are other videos and content on the web besides YouTube! I want access to stream what I see on my phone to the tv... Yes..... or NO...?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cannot mirror/cast from pixel 4a to roku

Jump to solution

@R0KUBLOWS 

Feel free to post back with any questions.  It certainly can be a little confusing at first with streaming and getting everything to work.  Not uncommon to find a better or easier way as you begin to understand things a little more and start experimenting with the capabilities of these devices.

Some users here have different platform devices connected to the same TV for this very reason.  Each streaming platform has their pros and cons and different features.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@R0KUBLOWS 

Sometimes depends on the phone and version of Android.  On my Android MotoZ, I cannot just press Cast and push everything I see to my Roku devices. (I can with Youtube and some other Googlecast compatible sites).

I can however cast just about any other online content from my Android phone to the Roku device using Web Video Caster. (https://channelstore.roku.com/details/dd37e6d096d3197a9578787890118e33/web-video-caster-receiver)

You install the Web Video Caster receiver Channel on your Roku device, and then install the Web Video Caster app/apk avilable in the Play Store to your phone.

This app works great and is free (upgrade no ads is only $3 or $4 one-time purchase).  There are other castings apps available in the Play Store as well but I find this one to work the best.

Web Video Caster website - http://www.webvideocaster.com/home

---

Hope that helps you a bit.

0 Kudos
R0KUBLOWS

Jump to solution

Ok. I get that. It's a solution of sorts but if I have to install other apps to make Roku work why do I need Roku at all?

Wouldn't I be better served by a Chromebox that will cast whatever I throw at it?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

"Ok. I get that. It's a solution of sorts but if I have to install other apps to make Roku work why do I need Roku at all?"

You don't.  Nobody needs a streaming device if the content is available online.  I stream a lot of content off my laptop directly to my TV via an HDMI cable.   The streaming device itself is for convenience and to manage a collection of different streaming Channels/app/services.  Any streaming device is simply a little specially designed dedicated computer for streaming online content.  You will really only need a streaming device for content that is not readily accessible online.

If you want features that aren't included natively with a streaming device, then you will need to add these features youself.  Just like adding apps to a phone or software to a computer.  You may need to customize it a bit to suit your needs.

---

"Wouldn't I be better served by a Chromebox that will cast whatever I throw at it?"

If most of your content is going to be cast and will work on Chromecast or Chromecast with Google TV devices, then perhaps that is the better product for you.  Most of the different streaming services are available on all these different streaming platforms.  Just have to find the platform you like that works best and most convenient in accessing your desired content.

0 Kudos
R0KUBLOWS

Jump to solution

Thanks. I guess I really didn't understand exactly what these things do. My expectations of Roku may have been unrealistic. I'm already fighting Pixel phone vs Samsung tv incompatibilities and hoped Roku would be a workaround. 

I will try the app you suggested.

Thanks again.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@R0KUBLOWS 

Feel free to post back with any questions.  It certainly can be a little confusing at first with streaming and getting everything to work.  Not uncommon to find a better or easier way as you begin to understand things a little more and start experimenting with the capabilities of these devices.

Some users here have different platform devices connected to the same TV for this very reason.  Each streaming platform has their pros and cons and different features.  

0 Kudos
stagediva432
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the Google pixel 4a 5g and I have not yet found a solution 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @stagediva432

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos