Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim23

Can’t connect roku to new wifi

Jump to solution

I recently switched WiFi and internet providers and I can’t get my Roku to work once the old WiFi setup was disconnected. I also use the app instead of the remote Bcz it broke awhile ago. I can’t use the app Bcz the Roku doesn’t connect and now I’m stuck

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Can’t connect roku to new wifi

Jump to solution

As a quick fix, just set the SSID and passphrase of the new router to be the same as the previous one.  Then all your Wi-Fi devices will just (re) connect to your network as if nothing happened.

For the longer term, I would suggest you get another remote or two.

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

As a quick fix, just set the SSID and passphrase of the new router to be the same as the previous one.  Then all your Wi-Fi devices will just (re) connect to your network as if nothing happened.

For the longer term, I would suggest you get another remote or two.

CapMann1880
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Generally speaking, how do you do what you just proposed:

"just set the SSID and passphrase of the new router to be the same as the previous one."

Im having the same issue. My new router came with its own SSID and passphrase, as they all do. How do you actually change this? On your ISP's website?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

In most cases, you change it in the router itself.  Just go to the router’s IP address and login.  If you’ve never logged into it before, the user name and password are likely to be "admin" and "password", "admin" for both, "admin" and "Password", or possibly something else printed on the router. 

If you don’t know the router’s IP address, there are a variety of ways to find it.  For example, in Windows, at a command or powershell prompt, type ipconfig.  In the output of ipconfig, look for the IP address for the default gateway.  If you go to that address in your browser, you’ll see that your router runs its own webserver and is waiting for you to log in and change things to your liking.

Alternately, the same label on the router with the user name and password might tell you the default IP address.

0 Kudos
CapMann1880
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for the instructions specifically on changing router info! Because that step is not exactly directly involving a Roku product, not everyone would take the time to provide the assistance you did.

When I get home from work, I'll give it a try. 

It would require me to reconnect my printer and two laptops to the newly renamed network, though, yes? Not a big deal, I think. 

0 Kudos
CapMann1880
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for the instructions specifically on changing router info! Because that step is not exactly directly involving a Roku product, not everyone would take the time to provide the assistance you did.

When I get home from work, I'll give it a try. 

It would require me to reconnect my printer and two laptops to the newly renamed network, though, yes? Not a big deal, I think. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes you will need to reconnect other devices.  The easiest way to make a router change is to use the same SSID and password each time.  In most cases, none of your devices will even notice the router change as long as the SSID and password are the same.

0 Kudos
KMhere

Jump to solution

What if you inherited the Roku TV and have no idea what the previous SSID was?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@KMhere, you absolutely need a physical remote.  There is no other way.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.