Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Wi-Fi vs long-range Wi-Fi

I see the two methods of wifi that Roku uses, but haven't found a good answer about how they compare. I am looking to add a streaming device to a new TV and am looking for the best performer.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Best Wi-Fi vs long-range Wi-Fi

There are currently two different WiFi bands: 2.4 and 5 GHz. In the 2.4GHz band there are several different available protocols: 802.11b/g/n. Virtually no one used .11b anymore, as it's too slow. .11g and .11n are better, but the 2.4 GHz band is crowded with so many other devices and there's a limited number (3) of channels that don't interfere with each other. On the 5 GHz band, you have much higher speeds and less interference. It also has a number of protocols: .11n (yes, the same protocol used on 2.4GHz), .11ac and .11ax. No current Roku support the .11ax protocol, but .11ac is more than fast enough for any streaming source. I get about 220 Mbps on 5GHz when I am close to the access point. Nothing streaming from the Internet really uses more than about 25 Mbps. 

But there are tradeoffs between the two bands. While the 2.4GHz band is more crowded, it has longer range than 5GHz. Signals passing through floors and walls drop off quicker on 5GHz. That said, I can still use my 5 GHz connection anywhere in my home with a decent signal, and my home has three floors and almost 3800 sq ft. 

Every current Roku player (and I believe all TVs) except for the Express and Premiere are dual band, so they support both radio bands. I recommend a dual band device if at all possible, simply because 5 GHz is less crowded and has the potential for greater speed. 

You may hear the term WiFi 6. It is now the official name for 802.11ax, but in its basic form still uses 5 GHz. They are now developing WiFi 6e, which will use a new 6 GHz radio band. At this time, no Roku device supports any form of WiFi 6.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I'm assuming you're referring to the terms that Roku uses on its compare features page.  ie: Sticks have "long range Wi-Fi" whereas Ultras have "Our best Wi-Fi".  I would assume (hope!) that "Our best" is really the best (including longest range), though I don't know if anyone has tested that.  I would assume something like this isn't that easy to reliably/repeatably test in real world conditions.

0 Kudos

Thanks. When I read it, it looks more like marketing language than something tangible. Hence, why I am trying to find out if there is actually a difference and what that is.

ec5

I have the same question.  What is the difference between 'best' wifi and 'long-range' wifi.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I would label "best" as a dual band WiFi, supporting both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. "Long Range" applies to the Roku Streaming Stick, because the antenna is built into the USB power cable, so it can be more efficient than a small antenna restricted to the interior of the device.

The only problem with using the power cable as the antenna is you must use the power cable that came with the Stick, because using a different cable (say you needed a longer length) means your WiFi won't work so the player itself won't work. But if a longer cable is needed you simply use an extension between the power source and the existing cable. Don't use an extension cable that connects directly to the Stick.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.