Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
onebithead
Channel Surfer

5GHz UNNI Channel Support

Jump to solution

I have two 5GHz capable Roku devices but am struggling with identifying the exact 5GHz channels they support. From reading other posts (outside this community) it seems that older 5GHz 802.11n Roku players are limited to non DFS channels 36-48,149-161. Do the newer 802.11ac models have the same limitation? Are these specs posted anywhere?

If all the Roku players are limited to eight channels, are there any Roku product managers monitoring the community threads that can address this for future products? I would be highly surprised if the 802.11ac radios used in the current players have this limitation so I'm guessing the channels are limited in software for some reason. In the current state, the 5Ghz capable Roku players are blind to 17 5GHz channels which are commonly used in all higher-educational environments where these players will be deployed.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 5GHz UNNI Channel Support

Jump to solution

In Roku OS version 12.0 DFS channel support was added for those models equipped with Realtek 13xx chips.  Per the Wikipedia Chart at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison, those models are:
 •   Streaming Stick 4K/4k+ (3820/3821)
 •   Express 4K/4k+ (3940/3941)
 •   Ultra/Ultra LT (4800/4801)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@MitchFlorida 

If you have a 4800 model series Ultra, you should be DFS compatible.

From Roku support article https://support.roku.com/article/21332729601687, the DFS "excluded" (non-supported) list comprise the following...

The following streaming device models do not support DFS channels: 3600X, 3800X, 3810X, 3811X, 4200X, 4201X, 4205X, 4210X, 4210X2, 4230X, 4230X, 4230X2, 4620X, 4630X, 4640X, 4660X, 4660X2, 4670R, 6301X, 6302X, 6303X, 6102X, 6103X, 6104X, 6106X, 6107X, 6108X, 6109X, 6110X, 6112X, 6113X, 6114X, 6402X, 6403X, 6404X, 6405X, 6406X, 6407X, 6408X, 6409X, 9101X

----

I was able to previously test my RokuTV, my Streambar 9102, and Express 4k+ 3941 and they all worked on DFS as indicated.  My Ultra 4660 is not supported and thus was not able to use DFS.

I do not personally use DFS, but for those that can get some benefit from DFS, good to see Roku starting to offer support/compatibility.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
atc98092

Jump to solution

So far, all Roku 5GHz capable devices do not support DFS channels. There's been talk about changing it, but so far it's not happening. Since DFS channels are restricted in power levels (half the power) permitted in many regions (including the US and Canada) it's probably simpler for Roku to just not use those channels instead of having to deal with the lower power levels and the lower connectivity issues that would go along with it. 

And there's 12 channels on 5 GHz that Roku devices can use, not eight. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I was provided an update from someone that knows Roku devices better than I do. Apparently Roku added DFS channel support starting with OS 12.0 for the devices that use the latest Realtek 13xx chips, That's starting with the Ultra 4800, and includes the latest 4K Streaming Stick and the Express 4K. No idea if any Roku TV supports them, since we don't know what hardware is used in the TVs. 

Dan

onebithead
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Whoops, forgot to count 149-161 🙂 Thank you for correcting me...

For most homes this not an issue so I fully understand Roku taking this path as most customers will only have one AP. I have eight so I'm not a typical customer 🙂 Not a big deal, as I can quickly create a new AP group and remove the UNNI 2E and ISM channels for a few APs.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
onebithead
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That's really good to know as I do have a 4K device but its wired. I will need to take some OTA captures and see what channels it actually scans..

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yeah, I have a few APs in my home as well. Just added a mesh system, so testing that out. I now have an AP within four feet of my Premiere, and it's still only reporting about a 20 Mbps connection. But that's a hardware limitation on that particular Roku, especially since it's 2.4 GHz only. My Ultra 4800 is only a few feet away from a 802.11ac AP, and it reports 230 Mbps, which is more than double the possible speed using Ethernet on it. But I've also tested the Ultra using fixed bit rate videos over the USB connection, and it can't play a 250 Mbps video without buffering. So that's the limit using existing hardware for them. It can still play my UHD movie rips from my DLNA server, which has average bit rates of around 80 Mbps, with peaks exceeded 150. 

Dan

makaiguy

Jump to solution

In Roku OS version 12.0 DFS channel support was added for those models equipped with Realtek 13xx chips.  Per the Wikipedia Chart at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison, those models are:
 •   Streaming Stick 4K/4k+ (3820/3821)
 •   Express 4K/4k+ (3940/3941)
 •   Ultra/Ultra LT (4800/4801)

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
urban_crawler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Is there some trick to getting DFS to work on a 4800x running 12.0?  Like a factory reset?  It still can't connect to any DFS channels for me.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@urban_crawleryou need to have a router that supports DFS channels and you need to make sure that DFS is enabled on your router. I bought my router from my ISP Verizon fios which has DFS on by default. Some ISP'S don't offer DFS router's for rent like Xfinity.

onebithead
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I work for a Wi-Fi vendor so DFS support is not an issue 🙂

0 Kudos