Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
urban_crawler
Binge Watcher

Re: 5GHz UNNI Channel Support

Jump to solution

@OwnerofDevices 
I have 3 Ubiquity U6 Lite configured with DFS channels.  I was looking at Wikipedia's List of WLAN channels and they show the 80Mhz channels with a center frequency.  I wonder if that's what I'm doing wrong. I might try to reconfigure the DFS channels using those tonight and see if the Roku picks them up.

I have them starting at the first channel, assuming it will consume the next 4.  What channel do you have configured for DFS @ 80Mhz?

0 Kudos
urban_crawler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well I tried it again with my 4800x and it still cannot see DFS channels.  Tried to ask Roku through support and that was a complete waste of time.  Was actually a quite disappointing experience TBH.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I currently have have DFS disabled on my router for a while because not all of my devices support DFS.

0 Kudos
urban_crawler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@OwnerofDevices 

I might just dedicate a older WiFi5 AP for the Rokus.  All the DFS channels are unused at my location and the speed I'm getting on laptops and phones are really good.

I'm the 2% who wants to stream remuxed blu-ray's from my plex server.  Between DFS support and the industry cheeping out with 10/100 ethernet I feel left out of the game. lol

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@urban_crawler wrote:

I'm the 2% who wants to stream remuxed blu-ray's from my plex server.  Between DFS support and the industry cheeping out with 10/100 ethernet I feel left out of the game. lol

I can stream UHD rips from my media server without a problem using non-DFS channels. While I have no doubt Roku saves a few bucks sticking with Fast Ethernet, you have to remember that for the purpose Roku devices were created (Internet streaming) 100 Mbps is way faster than needed. 

Of course, Roku devices can't handle really high bitrate media anyway. I've tested my Ultra using a USB drive, so no network involved. The Ultra does just fine at 180 Mbps, but a 250 Mbps test clip is unwatchable because of buffering. So the 230 Mbps WiFi speed I've measured is pretty much the limit the hardware supports. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
urban_crawler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@OwnerofDevices 

Yeah, I realize the market for Roku.  I have an NVIDIA shield device.  But I love the simplicity of Roku's interface. 

The Roku does work on non DFS channels, so that's what I'll do with the dedicated AP.  1Gbps is over kill, but only some blu-rays burst beyond 100Mbs, usually never past 120Mbps so the limit on the CPU isn't the issue.  Those pesky action scenes and my desire for the same bitrate used on the disc.

If the next generation of TV's and Roku's are still using Fast Ethernet I might consider recompressing my collection.  H265 is pretty **bleep** good at what it does.

0 Kudos
onebithead
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Its been a while since I have touched Ubiquity, but most vendors work the same. For most systems, enabling an 80MHz channel will automatically enable the 40MHz and 20MHz child channels. For our products we do this graphically (example below).

SNAG-0001.png

With a 80MHz channel enabled, 20Mhz or 40Mhz capable devices can still connect and will use the highest or lowest channel depending on the base channel configured on the APs radio. For example, one of my APs is using a 40Mhz channel 161- which indicates that 161 is the base channel that 20Mhz capable devices will connect. Another AP (which now services my Roku's) is using 40MHz 44+ which indicates that 44 is the base channel that 20MHz devices will connect.

0 Kudos
MitchFlorida
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The Ultra models do not support DFS, I tested them.

The Express 4K and Streaming Stick models do work with  DFS.  They use the Realtek 1315 chip.

•   Streaming Stick 4K/4k+ (3820/3821)
 •   Express 4K/4k+ (3940/3941)

atc98092

Jump to solution

I have other non-DFS capable devices, so I'm not going to bother trying them in either of my WAPs. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@MitchFlorida 

If you have a 4800 model series Ultra, you should be DFS compatible.

From Roku support article https://support.roku.com/article/21332729601687, the DFS "excluded" (non-supported) list comprise the following...

The following streaming device models do not support DFS channels: 3600X, 3800X, 3810X, 3811X, 4200X, 4201X, 4205X, 4210X, 4210X2, 4230X, 4230X, 4230X2, 4620X, 4630X, 4640X, 4660X, 4660X2, 4670R, 6301X, 6302X, 6303X, 6102X, 6103X, 6104X, 6106X, 6107X, 6108X, 6109X, 6110X, 6112X, 6113X, 6114X, 6402X, 6403X, 6404X, 6405X, 6406X, 6407X, 6408X, 6409X, 9101X

----

I was able to previously test my RokuTV, my Streambar 9102, and Express 4k+ 3941 and they all worked on DFS as indicated.  My Ultra 4660 is not supported and thus was not able to use DFS.

I do not personally use DFS, but for those that can get some benefit from DFS, good to see Roku starting to offer support/compatibility.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos