Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jumper5
Channel Surfer

Re: ROKU Devices Capable of Using 5ghz WIFI

Someone mentioned that sure, I could return my Roku Express to get the 5GHz wifi.  ** I shouldn't have to do that.**  It should be in plain English on the box that only 2.4GHz was supported, and not 5GHz.

Now?  I'll just live with the Express for a year or so, then I'll be smarter in terms of what I should buy next time.  But this is sold with the (ahem) express idea that it's easy to set up, easy to use, etc.  I shouldn't need a PhD in wifi technology in order to have gotten the right one.  I think it's purposefully misleading.

Single band wifi ... how am I supposed to know that single band wifi couldn't just be 5GHz?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU Devices Capable of Using 5ghz WIFI

@Jumper5 wrote:

Single band wifi ... how am I supposed to know that single band wifi couldn't just be 5GHz?

No such animal from any manufacturer. Single band devices are always 2.4 GHz only. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Spoonmi

Re: Which Roku devices work with 5ghz WIFI

Hmmm, I have the Roku Ultra model 4660x2 and use Tmobile home internet, when the tr-band router switches to channel 146 the Roku will not connect, Will connect on channel 40... Is there a fix or new device available

Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Spoonmi No, there is no fix. Roku devices will not use DFS WiFi channels. You must use a channel 48 or below or channel 149 or higher. DFS channels are not legal to use in some areas, so Roku does not support their use. 

Dan

Vicky2003
Channel Surfer

@SpoonmiDFS channels use a 802.11AC or 802.11AX connection.  These channels are shared with radar and must be vacated as soon as interference is detected.  DFS opens up a lot of extra channels, but if you live in an overcrowded WiFi environment where there are lots of signals that can reach you, these channels turn out to be a problem because your stream is interrupted every time the channel hops. 

I avoid DFS channels everywhere I can, but my cable box uses DFS channels, and at dusk our channel hops so often that we can not watch TV during that time slot.  So we stream. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Vicky2003 

It is not really that your cable box "uses" DFS Channels (52-148), but more that your cable box "supports the use of" DFS Channels.

If you disable the use of DFS channels at your router (either by manually assigning a 5ghz wireless channel, or looking for a setting that disables the use of DFS in auto channel selection), then your cable box (and other 5ghz wifi connected devices) will simply move to the non-DFS channel automatically assigned by the router during detection of congestion/interference.

With DFS, the router either allows the use of or does not allow the use of DFS channels. (most do).  The client device (Roku, cable box, phone, game system, network extenders, etc), either supports or does not support DFS use.  Inherently, at the network chip level, most do, but its use may be disabled for any number of reasons and thus remain uncertified to use DFS.  As such, if you have uncertified/unsupported devices on your network that need to use the 5ghz band, it is a matter of practicality (ease of use) that the use of DFS be disabled at your router.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

KIT4242
Reel Rookie

When you post links maybe you should take a look at what the link offers, in this case, nothing more than obfuscated **bleep**…

0 Kudos
atc98092

@KIT4242 no idea who you're responding to, but looking back in this thread I see no links to anywhere until you go way to to February, and those specific links certainly were valid then and now. Not really helpful to comment about something so old. 

Dan

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@KIT4242 

If you are referring to the links provided in the original solution, keep in mind this thread is 2 years old and any links previously mentioned may have moved or no longer be available.

Current link is https://www.roku.com/products/players

---

All current Roku devices are now 5ghz capable including the Roku Express (model 3960).  Any previous Roku Express with a different model number other than 3960 is 2.4ghz only.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
KIT4242
Reel Rookie

My apologies. You’re right I did ignore or did not bother to check the date. Although, it would be nice if there was some clear and concise information provide not just Roku, but all companies.

0 Kudos