Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vicky2003
Channel Surfer

2022 ROKU Devices Capable of Using 5ghz WIFI

I need to know what Roku devices support 5GHz wifi.

My Wifi speed on 5GHz runs between 216 and 260 Mbs, my 2.4Ghz runs between 2 and 10 Mbs, it is extremely important to find 5GHz devices, but when I look at the various models that doesn't seem to be shown. 

Wifi type is the most important thing when choosing a streaming device in a WiFi dense community,  followed by price.

I have an Ultra, but I am trying to find a device to recommend for my friends on a budget.  Firesticks all seem to offer 5GHz, but they are so slow and full of advertising, their remote app is slow, the apps themselves run slow.  The menu is different everytime I buy one.  So I'd rather stick with ROKU, but this information is so difficult to find!

Help

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 2022 ROKU Devices Capable of Using 5ghz WIFI

I believe only the cheapest Express model doesn't support 5GHz, but you can see them all at https://www.roku.com/products/players .  When you check the "Tech Specs" if it says "dual-band Wi-Fi" then it supports 5GHz.

The Wikipedia entry also has pretty good information for past models:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

There's no reason your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi should be so slow.  Maybe it's the device you're using to test its speed.

You won't get anything like 200Mbs on a Roku device no matter how it's connected and it doesn't need it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Vicky2003
Channel Surfer

Thank you.  I have been looking for this info on various shopping sites so I can give a link to my friends and it isn’t shown anywhere!

wifi here is a nightmare. We ALL have an at&t router for the community tv. AT&T uses channels 1,   4, 7 and 10 for their auto channeling on the 2.4Ghz band. Some people remained on Comcast for their wifi, phone and security systems which auto channels on channels 1, 6 and 11.  On my WiFi Analyzer app it shows there are between 9 and 16 SSIDs on each of channels 1, 4, 6, 7, 10 and 11 with a hand full of SSIDs on hand selected channels in between.   My emails load like I am on dial up if I use 2.4Ghz.  Luckily I know enough to buy 5GHz equipment or I couldn’t use the internet at all!  Even then I bought a brand new laptop and found it came without 5GHz and I had to get an adapter to be able to access the internet at an acceptable speed to do email.  I can’t image trying to stream at that speed! 

0 Kudos
renojim

@Vicky2003, now I understand.  🙂  Yep, definitely sounds like you need to use 5GHz.  Do you know what 5GHz channels your community router uses?  Roku's don't support all of them, although it probably won't be a problem.  If you're interested in the details, Roku devices don't support DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) channels.  In the US those channels are from 50 to 128.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Vicky2003
Channel Surfer

@renojim  I didn't know that the Roku Boxes only saw non-DTS channels.  I found out about DTS channels when I couldn't keep a connection with one of my computers.  With the Wifi analyzer app on my android,  I could see that it was certain channel numbers were invisible to my laptop, and then googled the thing to death to finally find out about what was unique about those channels.

AT&T routers are AC routers and so use DFS channels so I just picked a static non-DFS channel.

Again DFS is  something you don't want to use in a crowded environment.  While I only see 10  different 5GHz SSIDs in my home, the SSIDs are CONSTANTLY change channels.  Rarely remaining stable for any length of time. 

Unfortunately the new AT&T DTA boxes for the wireless TV boxes also use the AC standard and seems to treat all channels like they are DFS channels.   Someone turns on a TV using one of the wireless boxes and it sends a chain reaction through the thousands of AT&T DTA boxes in the  community.  Between 6 and 8 pm, my TV box would need to be rebooted 3 to 6 times, as the WiFi channel changed.   So I stream!

0 Kudos
Jumper5
Channel Surfer

Re: ROKU Devices Capable of Using 5ghz WIFI

I just got an Express, and I am disappointed to find that it doesn't support 5 GHz wifi.  I think that's dumb.  It's not clear on the packaging, and I think it's purposefully misleading.  5 GHz wifi has been around for over 10 years, and the Express supports HD, but doesn't support it.  Makes no sense.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Jumper5 

Roku has a 30-day return "for any reason" policy. (https://support.roku.com/article/360009581054 - What is Roku's Return Policy?)

All the newer Roku devices Express 4k/4k+ (3940/3941), Streaming Stick 4k/4k+ (3820/3821), the Ultra (4800) and Streambars are all dual-band.

Additionally, older models of the Ultra, Streaming Sticks, and Streambars/Soundbars are also dual-band.

Basically, the older Express/Express+ models (3700/3710, 3900/3910 as well as Express LE and SE) and the Premiere/Premiere+ (3920/3921) that still are found available for purchase will be 2.4ghz only.

Since the Express was meant to be an introductory device, really just the basics were included to keep costs down.  I still use my Premiere+ and don't have issues with 2.4ghz.  For basic, ordinary streaming needs, certainly nothing wrong with it.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Vicky2003
Channel Surfer

@Jumper5 

Roku has a number of different models with different feature sets to keep your price down and allow you to buy just the features that you may need.  The "dumb" part is they don't tell you what you are giving up with each model.

1.  I wanted 5Ghz as my number one consideration.  After hours and hours of shopping, I finally came here and asked.

2,  Does the remote control the TV power and volume.  Holding 2 remotes to watch TV is too much.

3.  Does the unit have an IR receiver, to use with a Universal remote.

The express is a miss on every level, but it competes with the FireSticks that everyone keeps GIVING to me. 

I agree this information should be in a chart at every shopping place, because spending a little more gets you into a much better device, but I have to KNOW WHY I'm paying more. 

Vicky

atc98092

@Vicky2003 wrote:

3.  Does the unit have an IR receiver, to use with a Universal remote.

In this case, you were not accurate. All Roku devices, with the exception of the Roku Stick, have IR receivers, and will work with a universal IR remote. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Vicky2003
Channel Surfer

Oops, sorry about that, but you made my point.  It is just about impossible either at the store, nor online to tell what Roku models there are and what the differences are.  I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 different Roku models on the shelf at any one time.  The details are fairly hidden as to what the differences are and what is available, even when shopping online. 

Who spends hours and hours agonizing over a $30 purchase? But buy the wrong model, and you now have something that you won't be happy with.  The information should be easily available, but it wasn't easy for me. 

There is nothing that screams Hey this $5 difference between HD and 4K device is going to be 2.4 GHz vs dual band WiFi.  That is a big deal when you live in a crowded WiFi environment or even if you live in a single family dwelling and want  to heat something in the microwave while someone in the house is streaming.  

This is a big  deal and it should be easier to tell what you are buying.

BTW I want to thank everybody that helped me find the right Roku for my demonstration.  It was very nice being able to demo the Roku and FireStick head to head and make my point about how the Roku is so much easier to use and still affordable.