Suggest a Feature

Share your requests for new features, channels, etc. with the Roku team! Search keywords and add a kudo to an existing topic to show your support, or create a new topic if your suggestion isn't listed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

"Miami Son" wrote:
HD audio passthrough!

This! And more options for audio channel passthrough besides forced upmixing!
0 Kudos
john262
Level 7

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

More RAM, more ROM, a faster processor, more models with Ethernet ports, and at least 2 USB 3 ports.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

"john262" wrote:
More RAM, more ROM, a faster processor, more models with Ethernet ports, and at least 2 USB 3 ports.

And expect significantly higher prices for that. I would be happy with just a single Gigabit Ethernet port.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
john262
Level 7

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Yes the box would be more expensive but I suspect that there are those who would be willing to pay more to get those specs. Roku might be able to compete with the Nvidia Shield in the high end market. And they could keep their cheaper products for those who are satisfied with them. Everybody wins.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Considering this thread is labeled First Quarter 2018, and the Second quarter ends next week, perhaps the mods need to create a new Third Quarter thread.  Smiley Tongue
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

"john262" wrote:
Yes the box would be more expensive but I suspect that there are those who would be willing to pay more to get those specs. Roku might be able to compete with the Nvidia Shield in the high end market. And they could keep their cheaper products for those who are satisfied with them. Everybody wins.

I agree. I'd pay more for a box that had gigabit Ethernet, additional codec support, and lossless audio bitstream passthrough. I'm sure they could stay well under the price of the Shield and still provide an outstanding streamer. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

"atc98092" wrote:
"john262" wrote:
Yes the box would be more expensive but I suspect that there are those who would be willing to pay more to get those specs. Roku might be able to compete with the Nvidia Shield in the high end market. And they could keep their cheaper products for those who are satisfied with them. Everybody wins.

I agree. I'd pay more for a box that had gigabit Ethernet, additional codec support, and lossless audio bitstream passthrough. I'm sure they could stay well under the price of the Shield and still provide an outstanding streamer. 

Out of curiosity, what would be the purpose of gigabit ethernet to a single Roku unit?  
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Roku should combine Express and Express+ into a single low end “Express,” have a mid-range “Premiere” that is much like the current Ultra, a high-end “Ultra” with all those bells and whistles all the bitching is about, and combine the Stick and Stick+ into a single “Stick.”
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

Right now I do not have cable television, I stream 95% of my content thru my Roku's which are all connected to the network wirelessly.  There is that 5% of content (mostly news and an odd sitcom re-run) that I watch using the antenna up in my attic, and that requires coax cable to run to each of my 3 TVs.

I really like the fact that Roku can give you wireless content, no more needing coax run around...  Unless you want broadcast television via antenna like me.

So the feature request:   I would like some type of device to connect to an antenna and also connect to the wireless network and stream to an app on the Roku.  This way people can put an antenna on their rook or in the attic and connect this device, and then watch broadcast television on any TV with a Roku.  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

"Streams" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"john262" wrote:
Yes the box would be more expensive but I suspect that there are those who would be willing to pay more to get those specs. Roku might be able to compete with the Nvidia Shield in the high end market. And they could keep their cheaper products for those who are satisfied with them. Everybody wins.

I agree. I'd pay more for a box that had gigabit Ethernet, additional codec support, and lossless audio bitstream passthrough. I'm sure they could stay well under the price of the Shield and still provide an outstanding streamer. 

Out of curiosity, what would be the purpose of gigabit ethernet to a single Roku unit?  

I have started buy UHD Blu Rays and ripping them to my media server. The bitrate can easily exceed 100 Mbps on peaks and I've even seen sustained rates near 80, so not having the Ethernet port as a potential roadblock would be nice. I've noticed that my Sharp Roku TV can just barely keep up, but there's occasions that buffering will occur if the peak is high enough or lasts longer than a brief spike. And if the full lossless audio track bitstream is ever passed through, that spike could get just a little higher. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos