Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ubrokeit
Visitor

Feature Request: will there ever be picture in picture support for Roku TV?

or is it too much for the cpu and software to handle

18 REPLIES 18
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Re: will there ever be picture in picture support for Roku TV?

Is PIP even a feature on any TVs these days? I thought it was a gimmick 10 years ago..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

"jeffrok" wrote:
Is PIP even a feature on any TVs these days? I thought it was a gimmick 10 years ago..

I used to have it via my cable box (Time Warner, back in the day), but not anymore with FiOS.  
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

"jeffrok" wrote:

It was a gimmick 30 years ago. 🙂
Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
beq
Channel Surfer

"ubrokeit" wrote:
or is it too much for the cpu and software to handle

I admit I wondered the same thing.  A family member was contemplating using a 40-50" 4K Roku TV as a computer monitor.  Wanted to be able to display the computer screen (via HDMI input) while playing Roku content in a small window.

I know he could just, ex. play Netflix in a browser window, but the simpler and less taxing on his PC, the better for him...
Basil
Roku Guru

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:

It was a gimmick 30 years ago. 🙂

Actually, it seems to be making a comeback of sorts. I noticed ESPN as added it to their app (they don't call it PIP though) to allow you to watch multiple events at the same time. I've also seen some other utilization recently on a non-TV device.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I loved my old TV with PIP and missed it when I got an HDTV.  I could be twice as productive if I could watch two things at once like I did in the past.  😄

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
I loved my old TV with PIP and missed it when I got an HDTV.  I could be twice as productive if I could watch two things at once like I did in the past.  😄

-JT

Don't you mean unproductive? Lol.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
twiceover
Roku Guru

The new ATV resumes playback of whatever you were watching when you enter the channel within a certain time period.  With all the appointment viewing TV apps now days, it would be pretty nice to PIP over to Netflix while FX plays the same commercial 3 times.
0 Kudos
beq
Channel Surfer

I imagine if the Roku TV ever gets PIP, it would not involve decoding multiple streams at the same time (which the hardware may not be able to handle)?

But perhaps they could do PIP between two HDMI inputs, or between an HDMI input and any Roku streaming app (as a group), or between an HDMI input and the Antenna.  Anyone thinks this is achievable with current models?  A goal for Roku OS 9?

P.S.  I see that Apple TV enables some sports/news apps to play 4 feeds at once within the same app, but they do have beefier hardware.  Is this even possible to do when coding a Roku app?

Regardless, running and displaying multiple TV apps concurrently sounds harder still.
0 Kudos