Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThePurpleWatch
Reel Rookie

Feature Request: Support for audio out - Airplay

It would be great to use Airplay to send Roku/Roku TV audio to other sound devices in the house.  This could let the sound follow me through the house and I can take advantage of my Sonos speakers even for the TV room.

Labels (1)
27 REPLIES 27
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Support for audio out - Airplay or bluetooth

Hi there! 

Using the free Roku mobile app, you can use the Private Listening feature to route your Roku device's audio to your phone. If you then pair your phone to an audio output device via bluetooth, this should achieve the result you are looking for. Hope that helps! 

I'll pass along your request for Airplay support to our team. 

Thanks,
Tanner

ThePurpleWatch
Reel Rookie

I've done that.  The extra hop to Bluetooth on top of wifi adds a noticeable lag.

The whole thing drains my phone's battery as well when the Roku is already connected to the network with multiple available wireless speakers.

There are some reports that turning on Private Listening on an iOS device and then system-wide on iOS choosing an AirPlay speaker will get audio to the AirPlay speaker, but that is not reproducible.

pfarfour
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature Request: Support for audio out - Airplay

I just purchased a Roku TV because it now has Airplay 2 - My primary use is to airplay the TV audio to my speakers.  Very disappointed to learn that feature doesn't exist.  Probably returning the TV for another option.  

Yung40oz84
Channel Surfer

Well I just tried this and the HomePod mini doesn’t show in Bluetooth devices... I’d like to see this feature as well. I’ll be getting another mini and they can be linked for stereo sound and I’d like to be able to airplay sound externally from my Roku TV to them 👍🏼

wdon
Reel Rookie

Me too. The only reason I bought a new Ruko 4800X was to use Airplay 2 to send audio to my Homepod mini pair.  My old Roku was still working just fine.

It looks like I should return the 4800X and just wait for the next version of Apple TV. 

What a shame.

0 Kudos
Yung40oz84
Channel Surfer

Ya I kind of feel let down lol. I figured when they put AirPlay support it would be all in. I’m not completely sure but I think this can be added on the software side of things to get this running on the latest Roku devices, hopefully!

pfarfour
Channel Surfer

I wish Roku would at least chime in and let us know if this is a limitation imposed by Apple or a choice made by Roku to limit features. 

Yung40oz84
Channel Surfer

Yep, then we’d know how to proceed. If it’s Roku, then I’ll just wait because I’m sure they’ll add it because everyone is going to want it. If it’s Apple then I don’t know 🤣

pfarfour
Channel Surfer

I found this on Apple's informational website:

"Leading TV manufacturers are integrating AirPlay 2 directly into their TVs, so now you can effortlessly share or mirror almost anything from your iOS device or Mac directly to your AirPlay 2–enabled smart TV. You can even play music on the TV and sync it with other AirPlay 2–compatible speakers anywhere in your home."

Therefore, I am guessing Roku will be able to implement this feature unless they have some sort of compatibility issue.