Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cman359
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku player with built in tuner

Tuners typically run $40 with remote power supply/adapter, shipping, and average software design, so an extra $30 on the ultra, seems reasonable

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

The .1% of users who would buy such a device isn’t worth the effort 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@cman359 

I have a Tablo device on my network. It has four tuners. The TV antenna feeds it, of course, and it has DVR capability. I can watch any live channel on up to four Roku devices. It's around $200 for the one I have, but they have smaller models (two tuners) for less.

All Roku devices run the Tablo app and use the same interface, despite one being a TCL Roku TV, one being a Vizio, one being a Toshiba, one being a Samsung. Each has a Roku device and use the Tablo app.

I probably wouldn't be interested in a Roku with a tuner, since I have multiple TVs, and it's more cost effective to have a single Tablo device feeding the entire network than it is to run TV cable to each TV.

But, if a Roku with a tuner is what you want, submit the feature request.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@cman359  That’s not how it works. An Ultra is $99. Add in a tuner and more hardware the price would be at least $300. Plain and simple. People would also  want a hard drive for DVR too

0 Kudos
cman359
Channel Surfer

Every tv made has a tuner, haven't seen one with a hard drive yet. But if you are saying people want something then someone should make it.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@cman359 wrote:

Curious to see what percentage of Roku player users have a home network...

A Roku is worthless without a network. It has to have at least a connection to the Internet, and since virtually any router/modem provided by an ISP includes WiFi, almost everyone has a network. There's a very small percentage of people that connect a Roku to the Internet without having any other devices connected. The potential audience for any such device you're proposing is so tiny there's no business case for it. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092

@cman359 wrote:

Tuners typically run $40...

I posted a link above from Amazon that has one for $30.

EDIT: one other point. Roku remotes don't have number buttons. Tuning OTA channels without being able to direct access the channels is annoying at best. You want a remote with the number buttons, and there are none that work with Roku players. 

Dan

Streamer317
Roku Guru

So you want a Roku Ultra you can plug an antenna into it. Ok so it will take about $200,000 spent into the R/D of this plus the $100,000,000 or so of production costs. These are just random numbers. Roku sells it for $249. Do you think they will make any money off the 10-20 sold? This would also mean a newly designed remote with channel numbers. 

0 Kudos
cman359
Channel Surfer

Lol

0 Kudos
atc98092

@cman359 wrote:

Lol

Well, he might be exaggerating a bit, there will be R&D costs, and as mentioned would require a different remote. I doubt they would sell one for less than $150, most likely even a bit higher. There simply isn't a market for it.

Dan

0 Kudos