Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cman359
Channel Surfer

Feature Request: Roku player with built in tuner

Please make a player with a built in tuner

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
cman359
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku player with built in tuner

Would prevent having to use two remotes to go back to tv for OTA. Also would work for really old tv

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@cman359 

You mean a Roku TV?

A tuner ups the price because of all the stuff that goes along with it. You can find tuners to add to your network, making the content available across all of your Roku devices. Tablo is a popular option for that. There are others as well.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

It’s called a Roku TV and several manufactures make them. 

0 Kudos
cman359
Channel Surfer

Yes, have 2, great product, apparently Roku seems to think there is still need for a player, I agree, player would be even better if they made one with built in tuner

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@cman359 

Put it in as a feature request. There's a page for that.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
cman359
Channel Surfer

Thanks for suggestion, I'll probably go that route, most customers buying Roku player not capable of setting up home network, still think the demand may be there, could be wrong

0 Kudos
atc98092

Since you need to connect your Roku to some sort of display, and in almost every case that display is a TV with a tuner, why bother with a tuner within the Roku player? There's zero value in a tuner within the Roku player when the display already has one. 

For the rare times someone is using a computer monitor for the Roku display, then there is a need for a tuner. However, there are many available tuners on the market already. Here's one example at Amazon for $30. There's also a number of tuners made by Silicon Dust that connect to your network and can be accessed on a Roku. Don't forget that in North America they are in the early stages of the next version of digital broadcast TV, called ATSC 3.0. Silicon Dust is the only maker of a 3.0 tuner at this time, with the HDHomeRun Flex 4K. I have one on my network. There's a channel for Roku devices that works just fine for any of their networked tuners. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@cman359 Even an Nvidia Shield does not have an OTA input or build in tuner. And those are $200. Your talking about a Roku device costing at least $300. Why buy that when a TV is $200

0 Kudos
cman359
Channel Surfer

Curious to see what percentage of Roku player users have a home network, not saying all versions have a tuner, try one model, value is in not having 2+ remotes, and bypassing tv manufacturers interface

0 Kudos