Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtksmith
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature Request: Remote Light Up

I agree 150% that Raku needs to add back lighting to the remote. I have the Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series) . It's such a nice product and service but this is the one thing about it that I don't like. I use Raku in my bedroom and I hate having to either turn on a light or use my phone's light to see the buttons. I do have the Raku app on my phone, which allows me to change channels, so that's helpful but not if I have it charging or if my wife is asleep because the phone can be too bright compared to just backlit buttons on a remote

The argument that there aren't that many buttons and I could just try to do it from memory is a weak argument at best and really an insult at worst.

I believe it should be a standard feature in the next Raku to be released and I'd be willing to buy a replacement remote from Raku that has this feature built in.

I've tried to find a universal remote that's backlit and compatible but with no success. I like that small size of the Raku remote and the universal remotes out there all seem to be quite large.

Come on Raku, please listen to your customers and add this small upgrade to the remotes.

Thank you.

TLR
Reel Rookie

On top of the back lighting issue... The Roku remotes are generally rather cheap as well. I don't mind the simplicity of the remote... Which by the way... Will NEVER be muscle memory in a dark.. But it feels cheap and dinky. My remote for my Roku TV... that's only about a year old... if that... just broke. So now I was forced to find another option. The app is a nice back up.. But nothing I would ever want to rely on. My prayers were answered when I came across the One for All Streamer remote. 

https://www.oneforall.us/universal-remotes/urc-7935-streamer-remote

I've seen it range from $16-26 and let me tell you .. It was worth every penny... Backlit and all! Your able to do alot more customizing with it then I bothered to but simply put... It's everything the Roku remotes should be in 2020 and more!

*Note: This will work with the Roku TV and regular streaming units but not the streaming stick. 

Tags (1)
Scolli23
Streaming Star

exactly what i was looking for!  Good job! Roku loses out on the profits on this one.

0 Kudos
jtksmith
Reel Rookie

I like it. Too bad it’s not compatible with the Roku I own. Smiley Sad

SK-Pete
Binge Watcher

Absolutely agree. I would pay extra for that feature.  Like others, I watch TV at night with the headphones (killer app!) and as well designed as it is, it is still too easy to hit a wrong button.  (My old FIOS remote was much easier to operate blind).  I have to use my cell phone as a light some times. 

Come on Roku, make it an option.  Battery life is my problem, not yours.

Scolli23
Streaming Star

And one more request to the light feature;

Motion activated, when movement detected over remote, it will light the keys. 

BulldogX
Channel Surfer

It's frankly astonishing that Roku still doesn't offer a backlit remote - not even with my $100 Ultra!

In 2020, I should not have to keep a flashlight by my side or turn on a floor lamp just to see the remote.

At least sell a backlit remote as an accessory.

CynthiaGerdes
Reel Rookie

I finally gave up and purchased a remote that someone else on this thread recommended. It allows me to dump the Roku remote entirely and DOES have a backlight feature. Now I wish it had voice control haha:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/one-for-all-streamer-remote-black/6337295.p?skuId=6337295

BulldogX
Channel Surfer

I'm aware that I can buy a separate remote - and the model you highlighted is a good one - I just wonder why I should have to. And Roku won't even sell a backlit remote as an accessory.

In my experience, when companies don't do something that they easily could do and for which customers are clamoring, there's almost always a reason. People have been bugging Roku for a backlit remote for years. There's some reason why they're not doing it.

The Roku app has a competent remote, although not as fully featured as the physical remote.

CynthiaGerdes
Reel Rookie

I absolutely agree 100%. Their silence on this topic is telling. The minute I have time or inclination, I will drop Roku entirely. The crickets from their end is maddening.