Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfayb
Roku Guru

Feature Request: Remote Light Up

Just a thought  for a future enhancement   I use the headphone feature of my  remote to watch tv at night.  Normally, watch in low light.  It can be hard to see the buttons on the remote, would be great if they would light up so they could be seen in low light.

Labels (1)
31 REPLIES 31
Basil
Roku Guru

Re: Future feature request

+1
Basil
Longtime Roku user
rockou
Binge Watcher

It's 2018, there shouldn't be any remotes that are not backlit anymore.
Even Directv has backlit remotes now. I know I had to pay for it but still, it was well worth it.

The Roku remote isn't too bad as it is pretty easy to tell from feel what you are pushing but still, I don't see any reason not to have it backlit, couldn't cost a lot more.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Tons of cheaper remotes are not backlit.. especially ones with so few buttons.. in 2018..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
twiceover
Roku Guru

It's a pretty tactile remote. Easy to hold and figure out.
rockou
Binge Watcher

"jeffrok" wrote:
Tons of cheaper remotes are not backlit.. especially ones with so few buttons.. in 2018..

Yep but they shouldn't be. It's 2018 not 1998.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Actually, it's amazing how many remotes don't include back-lighting. My Yamaha AVR remotes aren't (including one I just bought last week), my Samsung TV (more than one), some Vizio and Insignia TV remotes, none of them. In fact, I believe the only lighted remote I have is for my older Panasonic plasma ST30. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
CV27
Visitor

I believe battery life is the hold back.  That argument is debatable though: having backlighting active for a few seconds when you press a 'wake up' button wouldn't drain that much.  But that functionality adds cost to the remote, so...
gkl
Visitor

"CV27" wrote:
I believe battery life is the hold back.  That argument is debatable though: having backlighting active for a few seconds when you press a 'wake up' button wouldn't drain that much.  But that functionality adds cost to the remote, so...

I agree completely. You could buy a third-party vendor programmable remote that is backlit to replace your Roku remote, but it would be better to have the option to buy a Roku one. I really like my Roku remotes for my Ultra and Streaming Stick +, but backlighting would make them even better. I'd happily pay for one.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

With the extremely low button count on a Roku remote (ignoring the four preset buttons), is it really necessary to be able to see them? I never even look at the remote, going solely by touch and memory. 
Besides, with my eyesight, I couldn't read the buttons even if they were backlit unless I grabbed my reading glasses. And I don't keep them with me in bed.  😛
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.