Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dougable
Channel Surfer

Feature Request: Please add an Audio Only button to settings and app remote

Please add an Audio Only button to the settings and to the app remote so I can listen to music and talks with the tv screen turned black or visualizations.

That would make all Rokus potentially their own Alexa type devices, I guess.

Build in a quick reversion/failsafe so that all I have to do to get the screen back is to press any button on the remote to wake the screen.

I love you. I would love you more if you added this Audio Only button.

❤️❤️❤️

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Please add an Audio Only button to settings and app remote

That function doesn't exist on Roku devices, so it's not something that can be implemented in the app. Some TVs have the ability to turn the display off, for this exact reason. But that's not something that can be controlled through the Roku. You have to use the TV remote to get to that setting. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Dougable
Channel Surfer

I have faith in Roku to add a few lines of code to create an audio-only button. One of the apps I have on Roku is a radio app, a collection of radio stations around the world. When it plays a minute, my screen turns black because I have a one-minute setting for the screen to turn off when I’m not watching something. This is clearly a nice fluke. But it proves that Roku can in fact play audio and turn the screen off. Therefore, this feature could easily be added so it would work on YouTube and other apps that play music and talks. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

That's not turning the screen off. That's a black screensaver. Not the same thing. Certainly, adding a button on the remote app to immediately trigger the screensaver is easily doable. But don't confuse that with turning the screen off. You screen is still "on" and using almost as much power as if it were displaying a full video.

To truly turn the screen "off", you have to use the TV remote, assuming the TV even has that option. Both my Samsung and LG TVs have such a setting, although neither are quickly accessible. But there's no way the Roku can be programmed to make that happen. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Dougable
Channel Surfer

That’s great news! A black screen saver is just fine! Do that!

0 Kudos