Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TripodBob38
Binge Watcher

rewind and fast forward cause roku player to freeze and reboot

I have a Roku Premiere+ (4630 series)   that just received version 12.5.0 Build 4175-29 update on Oct 15th

Ever since this update was installed I have found that when I try to use either the Rewind or Fast Forward feature in ANY channel/app the Roku Player freezes then reboots after about 10 minutes.

I have tried several things.  System Reboot via menu, hard reset by unplugging power supply, deleting channels then reinstalling, manually check for software updates in the system menu and  each individual channel menu.  Then on the 17th I performed a factory reset.  Then for extreme measures I factory reset device a second time and created a new account.  Factory reset again and came back to my established account.  Same problem, no change.

The Roku uses ethernet since the roku is not capitable with my WIFI network.

8 REPLIES 8
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: rewind and fast forward cause roku player to freeze and reboot

First, let me say that your player really shouldn't be doing that. But I would like to point out that your player was released in Oct 2016, so it's now six years old. That's a lifetime for an electronic device. Again, it shouldn't be failing like this, but it's entirely possible that something internal has failed. Since you've done a complete factory reset (twice!), that pretty much eliminates any OS corruption. 

Your Roku has a dual band WiFi radio, so there's no reason it shouldn't work with your existing network. The only reason it might not work is if your WiFi radios on your router are using channels that Roku doesn't support. On 2.4GHz, the channel must be from 1-11. You can't use 12, 13 or 14. On 5GHz, your channel must not be in the DFS range, so it should be 48 or below, or 149 or higher. On the 2.4GHz radio, also make sure the mode is set to B/G/N, as some routers don't connect correctly to Roku devices if they're set to G/N. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TripodBob38
Binge Watcher

YES - Roku wifi radios are physically compliant in regards to basic minimum Wifi Alliance standards.  However, the Roku OS does not support WPA3-Enterprise with EAP-TLS Radius authentication. (

YES - The 4630X is dated but it is the only Roku that provides ethernet connectivity.

YES - The 4802R has ethernet connectivity.  However, I have had five of them that were DOA straight out of the box.  I haven't seen another Roku Ultra available to purchase since April 2022.  I have tried 53 stores in my state.  I only find the Express, Express 4K+, Streaming Stick 4K+, and on rare occasions I find the StreamBar.  None of those support my security requirements.

So far the Roku online store I add the ultra to the cart while it shows "In Stock" and proceed to check out.  However, 72-96 hours after I checkout I get a cancellation notice telling me they are out of stock.  That has happened 17 times since August of 2022.

Even though I am currently not able to rewind and fast forward I will stick with the 4630x until there is another model that has Ethernet or the Wifi Adapters have support for better security options.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@TripodBob38 That's a shame you had problems with your Ultra players. I have three different models (4640, 4670 and 4800) and all work fine with Ethernet. 

You do have one other Ethernet option, and that is to use a 3rd party Micro-USB Ethernet adapter with a Roku Express 4K+ player. This article describes the supported Roku devices (but I only recommend the Express 4K+ or one of the soundbars) and the adapters that were successfully tested with the devices. One advantage to using one of these adapters is that some are faster than the Fast Ethernet standard (100 Mbps) that the wired Roku devices support. The statement that Gigabit adaptors won't work is not accurate, but I can't say exactly what models will work. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TripodBob38,

Thanks for the post!

We'd like to see more on what's going on here and report this behavior to the appropriate Roku team.

Could you share us the details below?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

We'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TripodBob38
Binge Watcher

It took 14 cold reboots before I could get a issue report to work.

FYI - When I press Rewind or Fast forward within an app the app freezes then the the device reboots.  I get a cold reboot(aka after a power cycle.) because the last part of the startup I get a popup indicating an SD card has been found and mounted.  A warm reboot does not give you that message.

Model: 4630x - Roku Premier+
Serial number: YR006U270433 (7KA686270433)
Software version: 12.5.0 ~ build 4175-29
GC Version: 10.2.30
Timestamp: 2023-10-26T12:29:58Z

ID 33-429-869

0 Kudos
TripodBob38
Binge Watcher

@atc98092  I picked up a Express 4k+ (3941R2) and  a USB ethernet adapters. Then another three different USB adapters. It still doesn't work.  Tossed it in a bin at Goodwill.

0 Kudos
TripodBob38
Binge Watcher

5:34am PDT Oct 27, 2023 - Update was installed.  Version 12.5.0 Build 4178-29

Both Fast Forward and Rewind function normally.  All apps and features appear to be functioning as expected.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@TripodBob38-

Just out of curiosity...

Did your FF/RW problem appear on all channel apps, or just some particular one(s)?  The only place I've seen FF/RW problems mentioned, it has been on Fubo with Roku 12.5.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos