Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarahd1991

"external videos are not available in roku"

Jump to solution

Hey there,

I am trying to watch a video on my right now media app and there are "!" Points over the video and it is grayed out and gives me the message "video not supported," "external videos are not available in roku." Is there a way I can fix this?

Thank you in advance for any input. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: "external videos are not available in roku"

Jump to solution

Hi, @Sarahd1991 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for inquiring for support, and we'd be happy to assist. Roku Media Player allows you to watch your own personal video files, listen to your music files, and view your photos using the Roku device’s USB port (if available) or by accessing a media server on your local network.

Some Roku devices include a USB port to which you can connect an external USB drive for the purpose of playing locally stored photo, audio, and video files. You can connect more than one USB drive to your Roku device by connecting them to a USB hub.

You can use the Roku device comparison chart to determine which current products include a USB port.

If you are in Roku Media Player when the USB device is inserted, a USB Drive icon should show up in the media device selection screen.

You can access this screen by selecting All from the main screen. If you do not see the icon, learn what to do if Roku Media Player does not detect the USB device.

Different Roku devices support different formats. Newer firmware may support additional formats. The type of audio formats supported is dependent on the type of TV or A/V receiver your Roku device is connected to. Formats supported by your Roku device can be viewed by accessing the ?/Help pages from the Media Device and the Media Type selection screens.

The following file formats are supported:

• Video – H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV)
  • Audio – AAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); MP3(.MP3, .MKV); WMA (.ASF, .WMA, .MKV), FLAC (.FLAC, .MKV), PCM (.WAV, .MKV, .MP4, .MOV), AC3/EAC3 (.MKV,.MP4. .MOV, .AC3), DTS (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV,.DTS), ALAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .M4A), Vorbis (.OGG,.MKV,.WEBM)
  • Playlists –.M3U, .M3U8, .PLS
  • Image – JPG, PNG, GIF (non-animated)

The following media formats are supported on Roku devices that support 4K

• 4K Video – H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV, .WEBM)
  • 4K Video – H.264 (Roku Premiere, Premiere+, and Ultra only)

The following media formats are supported on Roku TVs

• Video – H.262 (.MKV)

For more information, you can visit this support article on How do I use Roku Media Player to play my videos, music and photos?

We hope you find this information useful, and feel free to reach out to us anytime if you have further concerns or inquries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: "external videos are not available in roku"

Jump to solution

Hi, @Sarahd1991 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for inquiring for support, and we'd be happy to assist. Roku Media Player allows you to watch your own personal video files, listen to your music files, and view your photos using the Roku device’s USB port (if available) or by accessing a media server on your local network.

Some Roku devices include a USB port to which you can connect an external USB drive for the purpose of playing locally stored photo, audio, and video files. You can connect more than one USB drive to your Roku device by connecting them to a USB hub.

You can use the Roku device comparison chart to determine which current products include a USB port.

If you are in Roku Media Player when the USB device is inserted, a USB Drive icon should show up in the media device selection screen.

You can access this screen by selecting All from the main screen. If you do not see the icon, learn what to do if Roku Media Player does not detect the USB device.

Different Roku devices support different formats. Newer firmware may support additional formats. The type of audio formats supported is dependent on the type of TV or A/V receiver your Roku device is connected to. Formats supported by your Roku device can be viewed by accessing the ?/Help pages from the Media Device and the Media Type selection screens.

The following file formats are supported:

• Video – H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV)
  • Audio – AAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); MP3(.MP3, .MKV); WMA (.ASF, .WMA, .MKV), FLAC (.FLAC, .MKV), PCM (.WAV, .MKV, .MP4, .MOV), AC3/EAC3 (.MKV,.MP4. .MOV, .AC3), DTS (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV,.DTS), ALAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .M4A), Vorbis (.OGG,.MKV,.WEBM)
  • Playlists –.M3U, .M3U8, .PLS
  • Image – JPG, PNG, GIF (non-animated)

The following media formats are supported on Roku devices that support 4K

• 4K Video – H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV, .WEBM)
  • 4K Video – H.264 (Roku Premiere, Premiere+, and Ultra only)

The following media formats are supported on Roku TVs

• Video – H.262 (.MKV)

For more information, you can visit this support article on How do I use Roku Media Player to play my videos, music and photos?

We hope you find this information useful, and feel free to reach out to us anytime if you have further concerns or inquries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.