Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube videos keep starting with black screen

Jump to solution

Hi @Les_james,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry for any inconvenience that it may have caused. Please note that we are currently aware, and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely. We appreciate the troubleshooting steps that you have taken to try to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, please help us with the required details so we can send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Troubleshooting steps you have taken in an attempt to resolve the issue.
  • YouTube app version

We look forward to hearing your response and receiving your device details.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same here starting a couple days ago on TCL 55" Roku TV. Only YouTube channel. The first two ads play fine and then it switches to black screen for video. Menus are normal. Also noticed video output is limited to 720p, only on YouTube channel.  This is a 4K TV. Other channels working fine at 4K. I seriously thought my TV was broken for a couple days, but it's just that channel. Never had either of these problems before. Wondering if they are related.

JamesAZ81
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Wow, I posted on here 3 weeks ago and it still isn't fixed. No updates to fix the issue. I think the issue is worse. In the middle of a Youtube video, I'll get an ad, then when it is over, the video continues, but i only get sound and a black screen. So I can't finish the video. Does Roku company even care that their product is trash? I'm seriously close to looking to other alternatives for entertainment.  

0 Kudos
JamesAZ81
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You guys just regurgitate the same fix action that doesn't work. We've tried this over and over again, and it doesn't work! Get your developers to figure out what the problem is and push out an update that fixes the problem! 

aighalo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same, they are not doing a thing. This has been a known problem for a long time. I just won't get Roku anymore

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JamesAZ81 and @aighalo,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. We understand that you're having issues with the YouTube channel on your device.

Our team is currently aware of the issue and is undergoing an in-depth investigation regarding it. That being said, would you be so kind as to provide us with the following information?

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • YouTube app version.

Once a few more pieces of information have been gathered, we will be able to pass them along to the appropriate support team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
aighalo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I already did in this thread, look at my earlier post

0 Kudos
Oatmeal78

Jump to solution

Happening to me too.  Brand new 4k. What is this **bleep**?  I have 4 Rokus and every one of them has something that doesn’t work properly.  This is the last one.  Next time I’m buying a fire stick.  So tired of this **bleep**. 

0 Kudos
JamesAZ81
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This has been an issue for months. I don't think Roku cares. I'm sure they will just tell you to uninstall youtube, restart your tv, then reinstall youtube. But you'll still have the issue. I think they have lazy developers. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Oatmeal78 @JamesAZ81 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We see that you're having an issue with YouTube having a black screen display, and we'd like to gather more details since our team will investigate this one. Could you please provide the information requested by @RokuJanadeeK above this thread? 

These details are critical for us since they will be forwarded to the appropriate Roku team which will conduct the investigation of this issue's occurrence.

We hope to back with your response.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos