Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve62M
Binge Watcher

Yamaha Soundbar is not recognized by Samsung TV with Roku Media Player powered on

Why doesn’t my Samsung TV recognize the Yamaha Soundbar when the Roku 4k media player is powered on. Everything works with Cox Cable box but I can only get it to work if I switch off Roku Media Player, turn TV on and Soundbar is recognized. Then I turn on Roku Media player and everything works fine. I have change HDMI cables ports and even just had Roku Media Player, no cable box. Never works if Roku Media player is powered and Samsung TV turned on

Help trying to get rid of cable

Steve62M

0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Yamaha Soundbar is not recognized by Samsung TV with Roku Media Player powered on

Not sure I am following you. Roku Media Player? Which Roku device are you using? So you have a Samsung TV with a Yamaha Soundbar plugged into the TV correct? Is it connected via HDMI ARC or optical? With the Roku unplugged do you get sound? If so then you need to go into the Roku audio settings. Also are you trying to cut the cord? If so you can drop cable TV and go with something like YouTube TV or Hulu with Live TV. Roku Media Player is a channel on your Roku device

https://support.roku.com/article/360015620954

0 Kudos
Steve62M
Binge Watcher

Re: Yamaha Soundbar is not recognized by Samsung TV with Roku Media Player powered on

I have a Roku Express 4K+. The Yamaha 620A Sound Bar is plugged into the HDMI eArc on the Samsung 43in Smart TV. Everything works fine with Cox Cable Box and Samsung DVR as long as the Roku Express is powered off when I start TV. I have a switch on the Roku Express electrical plug. Once TV is on and sound bar is recognized. I can power on Roku and everything works again. If I shut TV off and power back on with Roku still powered on. Then the Soundbar is not recognized. Samsung TV displays need receiver plugged into eArc HDMI even though it is

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Ok so disconnect the cable box. Take it out of the equation. Set it up so your soundbar is using the ARC port and your Roku Express is plugged into HDMI 1. Go into the Roku audio settings and be sure it’s set to tv/ external speakers. Do you have sound? The TV also needs to be setup to use external speakers. One of my setups is a Samsung TV, Samsung soundbar (optical) and Roku Ultra. Works just fine 

0 Kudos
Steve62M
Binge Watcher

I have had this set-up with Roku Express on HDMI-1 or HDMI-3. I have verified audio setting on Roku Menu and Samsung TV menu. Only way I could get it all to work was with Roku Express powered off during TV start up. I even use the Roku remote to turn TV on. Once Samsung TV is completely on and Soundbar is recognized on I can switch power onto Roku Express and it all works then

I can not figure out why the powered on Roku Express before TV start up prevents TV from recognizing sound bar. Eventually the sound comes out of the TV. Something is interrupting the TV’s sequence of events to recognize and turn on Soundbar 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

By power on you mean you actually have to turn the power to it? A Roku device doesn’t have an on or off switch. They are designed to stay on all the time. What happens if you leave the Roku plugged into the wall like it’s supposed to be per the instructions?

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

So your actual removing the power from the Roku when you switch back to cable?

0 Kudos
Steve62M
Binge Watcher

If I leave the Roku Express plugged in powered on the Soundbar is not recognized. I added a switch at the Roku Express electrical plug. If I have this switch off, essentially Roku Express unplugged the TV recognizes the sound bar and it all works. Then I turn Roku express on and I get sound out of Soundbar. Only way it all works together

0 Kudos
Steve62M
Binge Watcher

I remove the power from the Roku Express anytime I turn the TV on

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

I never heard of such a situation. A Roku doesn’t need to recognize you have a soundbar. All you need to do is tell the Roku you are using external speakers. A Roku is merely a streaming device. Before I got a Roku Ultra for my Samsung TV I has cable TV. But I always had my soundbar plugged in using an optical cable. Even worked with HDMI ARC. Then I dumbed cable and bought a Roku Ultra and a streaming stick for another tv. Both work perfectly fine. The TV audio is set to external speakers and so is the Roku. But I actually never had to change anything on the Roku. During the setup it asks you if you hear a tone. If yes you continue if no you keep trying. Does your Roku remote power off your TV?

0 Kudos