Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
names
Reel Rookie

Windows PC won't detect Roku TV.

Jump to solution

I've tried connecting to my Roku TV with screen mirroring, but nothing will work. I've tried every solution, disabling firewall, making network private, changing device permissions on Roku, nothing. If there is another solution, I would like to try it!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Windows PC won't detect Roku TV.

Jump to solution

@names wrote:

Updated to Windows 11 22H2 very recently.

I have not been able to get my Windows 11 laptop to successfully connect to a Roku player for screen mirroring. I think it's a Windows problem, because my Windows 10 laptop (same room and network connection) works fine.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, you must be on a private network. Next, what version of Windows are you using? Third, are you using a laptop or desktop PC? I have found you cannot screen project your computer if it's a desktop PC that doesn't have a wireless network adapter. Windows uses Miracast to connect to a Roku, and Miracast requires a wireless network adaptor on the computer, even if it's connected to a wired network. 

For whatever reason, I have been completely unsuccessful connecting my Windows 11 laptop to any of my Roku devices. The computer sees the Roku and attempts to connect, but the connection fails and it goes back to the main screen. I just tried a laptop with Windows 10, and it connected just fine. But not with the Windows 11 computer. 

Dan

names
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

1. I'm on Windows 10 22H2

2. Using a laptop

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@names wrote:

1. I'm on Windows 10 22H2

2. Using a laptop

OK, it works fine for me with those same two. Does your Roku appear in a list of available devices to mirror to on the computer? Does the computer show any other available devices to mirror to? For example, when I do that on my network, I see several different TVs, all of my Roku devices, my Nvidia Shield players, and some other stuff. If you see nothing else, you either have a very limited selection of devices on your network or there's something that isn't set correctly on your network. 

Dan

0 Kudos
names
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It appears in the Devices & Printers setting, but It wont show anywhere else.

0 Kudos
names
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@names wrote:

I have not been able to get my Windows 11 laptop to successfully connect to a Roku player for screen mirroring. I think it's a Windows problem, because my Windows 10 laptop (same room and network connection) works fine.

Dan

Aldz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

They dont have a clue. The best thing to do is buy another   better brand of tv that will connect to a lap top.

0 Kudos
Aldz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

i dont know why it has to be so hard to connect my lap top to the roku tv! It was working before but no longer.  Why wont it stay on default? i always have to keep going to connect to 'Add Devices' to add roku tv  on my windows 11 lap top  whenever i want to watch a movie on laptop from tv!     Why wont it stay permament on there. Now it doesnt even  connect at all.    You need to fix this feature in the tv's because its incovenient and you should know by now after all the problems that people have with this how its a defect and needs to be fixed!   And if its not Roku to blame,then its Microsoft edge.

0 Kudos
Aldz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku needs to fix this defect! i cant even keep the Roku tv as default in my  devices button. Always have to keep 'adding to device' button when i want to watch a movie.  Who knows if it will work again? hasnt been working at all!  

0 Kudos