Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Missmoe

Problems playing 4k HDR movies on my 70 inch RuKu TV

My 70’’Onn Ruku tv won’t play 4k HDR movies. I’ve tried everything in the settings, someone please help

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Problems playing 4k HDR movies on my 70 inch Roku TV

How are you trying to play the movie? Are you using an Internet provider, or using the Roku Media Player to watch something from an attached USB device or a media server on your network? And exactly what do you mean by "problems"?

Virtually every 4K video you can buy is going to have lossless audio, which your TV (and no Roku device) cannot play. If you have a 4K movie that you have ripped from the disc (perfectly legal to do with media you purchase) you need to do one of two things: either convert the file to convert the lossless audio to regular Dolby Digital, or stream the movie from a media server on your network. There are a number of free media servers available that can do the job. The media server will convert the lossless audio "on the fly" so you don't have to mess with the file itself. I support Serviio DLNA server (disclaimer: I'm a moderator on that forum), but there's also Plex and Emby (both have their own Roku channels for playback). 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Missmoe

Thanks for responding, I am watching movies directly from the apps on the RuKu tv such as Netflix, Peacock etc. Movies start and then go black. I have audio but no picture

0 Kudos
Missmoe

And yes I have high speed internet.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.