Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheBeedo
Reel Rookie

Videos are zoomed in, but Home Screen is fine

I just recently started having an issue where videos are zoomed in. I’ve tried watching things through Netflix, Disney+, and YouTube- all are zoomed in. 
The weird thing about it is that it is ONLY when I’m watching a video. The Roku Home Screen is perfectly fine, as well as the home screens for each app when I have them open. 
move been using this Roku for a year or two now and have never had this issue. 
I have had an occasional issue a few times before where, when I play videos on any app, it will have a black screen but continue to play the audio. The only way I’ve found to fix that is by changing HDMI ports. 

I want to note that I will often hook up my Nintendo switch to the same projector (I use a projector instead of a TV), and the Switch does not have this issue at all. 

I have tried looking at my aspect ratio and other settings for the projector, I have tried resetting the YouTube app, and I made sure the Roku, as well as each app are up to date. I’m not sure what to do at this point. 

Home Screen: https://ibb.co/5RcWdNh

When playing a video: https://ibb.co/25jSFnY

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Videos are zoomed in, but Home Screen is fine

Hi @TheBeedo,

Thanks for posting the Roku Community! 

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Projector brand and model
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Best regards, 

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
N_714_LA
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same exact issue. I’m watching on a Toshiba Fire TV. Everything is fine until I play a movie or video then the image is too large and doesn’t fit the screen. 

0 Kudos
TheBeedo
Reel Rookie

So I actually think I found the issue. I was only having the issue whenever I had other Roku backgrounds applied on the home page other than the default one. Once I switched back to default, my videos were fine!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@TheBeedo, can you elaborate?  Are you saying if you choose one wallpaper or theme the videos are zoomed in, but if you choose a different one they're not?  Can you give specifics.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
N_714_LA
Reel Rookie

Mine was always on the default. But I tried switching it to a different one and that still didn’t work. I’m not sure what I can do except maybe get a new Roku which sucks. Thanks for your suggestion 😊

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @N_714_LA,

We appreciate you updating the Roku Community!

We would want to look into the problem you're having more thoroughly. Does this only affect a single content or channel, or is it present across any content and channels? (Specify) Can you send us a picture or a video of your running problem?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cskelly

We are having the same issue.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Cskelly,

We're sending you a warm welcome from the Roku Community!

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

• Is this the first time you have experienced this issue?
  • Is the issue happening on all content or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel?

In the meantime, please check out this article on How to change the display type on your Roku streaming player.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.