Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Update making colors appear too red, too rich

Jump to solution

I always have it on Forced direct play and it still looks too red. And this is specific to Plex with HEVC mkv files. If it's an HEVC mp4 file it displays correctly.

0 Kudos
spoole100
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

As stated before this is not specific to Plex, but is specific to H.265 encoded non-hdr MKV files with the correct colorspace flag set in the MKV container.  This happens in Plex, Emby, Jellyfin and in the built-in Roku media player.  The direct-play workaround does not fix it in this case.  You notice this in Plex more because when plex transcodes it puts the file in an mkv container and sets the colorspace flag. 

0 Kudos
DarkBlood
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've corrected my post. I was unaware of how deep of a rabbit hole this was until now. 

I will be looking for a different device. if I wanted to mess about with file formats, color adjustments, audio issues, etc,etc... then I might as well just use my pc.  The purpose of the roku was to simplify the movie theater experience.  so unfortunately ill be looking for a replacement. 

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It is completely unacceptable how Roku still has not addressed this issue and is seemingly deciding to ignore it and our complaints. When I watch any HEVC mkv files on Plex I have to make sure to watch them on either of my two Fire TV devices since they don't have this issue Roku does. Or if I play these files on my 2017 model Roku Ultra 4660 they display properly.

Yet for some insane reason newer Roku devices have this color issue for these types of files, this is pathetic and the Roku engineers should be dedicating significant time and resources to resolving this problem. They should be embarrassed by this issue and motivated to fix it as soon as possible.

If a Roku model I bought just over 6 years ago can play these HEVC mkv files on Plex and they display correctly then why can't the newer Roku devices display them properly as well?

I'm sorry but this is a total failure by Roku for this design flaw, then a second failure by being unwilling to correct it when they are obviously fully aware of it through our complaints.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users!

We appreciate you for reporting this issue. We will be coordinating with our Engineering team to further investigate and correct this.

With that being said, kindly provide us with the following details below to help us fix your Roku player:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • If possible, a photo of this occurring issue for reference.

Please take note of those who have already provided us with these details that we have already included it in our investigation. 

We'll be looking forward to your responses!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
spoole100
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It's almost like @RokuCarly  didn't read the thread, Amiright?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@spoole100 wrote:

It's almost like @RokuCarly  didn't read the thread, Amiright?

A tracker ID is really helpful to the development team. Admins like Carly have to keep reminding people to provide them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
spoole100
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

There is no need for a tracker ID because they can recreate the problem with my instructions and files on Page 8.  I have opened numerous tickets with tracker IDs over several different software versions over the past 3 years.  At this point either Roku doesn't care about the issue or they can't fix it.  It's frankly quite sad how inept their tech support and devs are.

DarkBlood
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Have the Nvidia Shield users had any of these issues with sound or red/dark colors in mkv ? or is the shield  stable for all this. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@spoole100 wrote:

There is no need for a tracker ID because they can recreate the problem with my instructions and files on Page 8.

You don't know that. I know from some programming I did many years ago, problems that seem to be easy to track can be anything but. But I acknowledge that you've already provided some tracker files. But it can help to get additional reports from different users. Remember that Roku players can connect to a wide variety of displays, and it's possible the problem doesn't appear under certain combinations of devices. 

Could you confirm for me the specific configuration of the MKV files you have? I realized that I do have a small number of MKV files using H.265 that do not have HDR. I'm uncertain what is meant by "color space set correct". Mine are all listed with MediaInfo as YUV color space. Some list BT.709. The only BT.2020 files I seem to have are all HDR/Dolby Vision. I'd like to help if I can. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos