Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Twoarc

Ultra overheating and failure

I recently began getting overheating messages on my ultra. Now it has failed and won’t connect to the Internet. I keep it in a cool spot with airflow all around. I peeled back the rubber base, removed four screws, and opened the case. It has a metal heat sink on the top and the bottom, but on the bottom, the heat sink was not connected to the electronics with heat transfer material. On the top there was a very small piece of heat transfer foam connecting the upper heat sink. This is a design shortcoming. It’s really annoying that I have to spend $100 to replace this thing when $.10 worth of transfer tape probably would have taken care of it.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
JDrok
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra is Overheating consistently

The Roku Ultra I have has never been powered via USB from the TV.  I use the Roku power supply that came with the device. 

I keep my fan close and pointed at the Roku Ultra, which is also propped up to allow air flow to all sides.

0 Kudos
Koaboy

Re: Roku Ultra is Overheating consistently

I’m having the same consistent Ultra overheating message.  I’ve tried the steps above several times, but the problem persists.  Customers using external fans shouldn’t be required.  Is this possibly a software issue?  My model is a 4670RW.  Are the newer versions also having this issue?  

Drichter11
Reel Rookie

Overheating device warning

I’m having the same issue
It’s in an entertainment cabinet with three shelves and there’s no door so it’s open air

It’s been there for over two years. I find it odd since the environment hasn’t changed

It’s on the top shelf, by itself And not sitting on top of any other equipment

The device does not feel any hotter than normal and I have unplugged it and plugged it back in and that seems to fix it for a while

Do these devices have a life and do they need to be replaced periodically because I’ve had this Roku ultra probably four years now maybe a little less

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Overheating device warning

Hi @Drichter11,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thank you for letting us know about your Roku Ultra overheating. We are more than happy to assist you with this issue.

Before we proceed, we would like to gather the following details:

• When did you start experiencing this issue?
  • Where did you plug in the power source of your Roku Ultra?
  • Was it plugged into the wall outlet or a power strip?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Drichter11
Reel Rookie

I started noticing this approximately a week ago. 
it is plugged into a Panamax MR4300 power conditioner and surge protector. 

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Drichter11,

Thank you for providing additional information regarding the issue with your Roku Ultra overheating.

Please check the status of the light on your Roku Ultra. Additionally, we advise following these troubleshooting steps:

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.
  2. Wait for at least 10 minutes to allow your Roku player to cool down.
  3. Once it has cooled down, plug the power cable into the wall outlet.

If you still see the overheating message on your TV screen, or the Roku player shows a solid red light, then immediately unplug the power cable.

For reference, you can visit our support article: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Ultra overheating and failure

Hi, Community users.

Thanks for letting us know about the overheating issue you have encountered with your Roku Ultra.

If the guides and steps provided by @RokuRiamie-D did not resolve the issue, we'd like to request further information for us to review this matter and investigate it. Kindly provide the details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Error code or message prompt.
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,
  • What troubleshooting steps have you attempted so far to resolve the issue? 

With more details we receive regarding this matter, our team will work on the issue further.

We hope for your response along with the details we have requested.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.