Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
way2cool1

Tv goes back to home page after a few hours

Jump to solution

New to Roku; having same issue on all devices always goes to Home screen after several hours or freezing on Xfinity stream but bandwidth saver off; no timers/screensavers. Just want the bloody TV to play indefinitely without this annoying problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Tv goes back to home page after a few hours

Jump to solution

Hi there!

The XINIFTY channel has an "Are you still watching?" feature that pops up after a few hours. This is a channel-specific feature, please reach out to XFINITY directly to inquire if it's possible to turn off or to leave your feedback with the channel partner.

Channels that offer their own "Are you still watching?" dialog box will not observe settings from disabling the Roku Bandwidth Saver option. It may not be possible to prevent the dialog from popping up and exiting the program.

Thanks!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @way2cool1,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We're so sorry to hear about the issue with your Roku device and We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Does the issue only occur on the Xfinity stream or all channels on your Roku device?
  2. if the issue only happens on one channel, remove any channel you observe this issue on from the Roku home screen. Then, restart your device. Once it loads up again, add the channel back once more and try playing content again. You can visit this Support article for detailed instructions on how to do it: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support
  3. What Roku model device are you using?
  4. How are you powering the Roku device?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
way2cool1

Jump to solution

Mary,

Thank you for your quick follow-up. It only happens when playing Xfinity streaming which I've removed the app, reinstalled it and went through time-consuming reauth with Comcast on all of our devices. Do not know if others behave same way as have not left any of them playing for long period like Xfinity,

TCL TV with builit-in Roku/remote. Power on with Roku controller. Sometimes Xfinity randomly freezes on this set within 2-3hrs and must unplug AC from outlet and plug back in/turn on TV set as just powering off with Roku controller and turning back on doesn't seem to clear whatever caused the freeze or 'Try again'.

Other sets in our home with Roku device/remote do not seem to freeze randomly when play Xfinity but they all revert to home screen or screensaver in about 4hrs if we enabled any of them on any set. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @way2cool1,

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done. We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far to try to resolve the issue with Xfinity Stream.

Please make sure to restart your Roku device after removing the channel and before adding the channel back to ensure the process is successful.

In addition, some channels and services can be restored by performing a system update. You can check for a manual system update by navigating to Home > Settings > System > System update > Check now.

We'd also recommend refreshing your home network connection by rebooting your wireless router and/or internet modem if you are experiencing an issue with a channel loading content.

This should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
way2cool1

Jump to solution

Thanks again for your quick follow-up (which BTW is far superior than what I've been getting or not getting with EMail support; I did get some good phone support the other day and went thru some of your suggestions). The download speed is usually running 84-88MBPS with new Motorola MG8702 modem/router combo.  In retrospect, after removing/adding back Xfinity I may not have done a System Restart but simply a power off/on.  I am loathe to remove/setup Xfinity again and go thru the reauth for all of sets in our home. I will leave Disney+ on for extended period of time and see if get the same anomaly.  

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @way2cool1,

Thanks for the quick response.

If you are still having any issues with your Roku device after following these steps, please don't hesitate to reach back so we can assist further. As we want to make sure that we can get this resolved as soon as possible.

Please keep us posted. Have a great day!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Iris11
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hey did it work ? I have Roku onn. And the bandwidth is off and it’s still turning back to the Home Screen after hrs. I cannot seem to get it to stop doing this. 

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi there!

The XINIFTY channel has an "Are you still watching?" feature that pops up after a few hours. This is a channel-specific feature, please reach out to XFINITY directly to inquire if it's possible to turn off or to leave your feedback with the channel partner.

Channels that offer their own "Are you still watching?" dialog box will not observe settings from disabling the Roku Bandwidth Saver option. It may not be possible to prevent the dialog from popping up and exiting the program.

Thanks!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.