Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manitou

Re: Roku app on Firestick won’t play any shows

Jump to solution

SOLUTION!!!!

I figured out why!

Roku does not like VPN. If you are using a VPN, Roku blocks out the channel.

Turn your VPN completely off and ROKU works on firestick!

Jump to solution

I had the same problem also, but once I turned my IPVanish off I was able to watch the Roku channel.

KDD5

Jump to solution

There’s no error code. Just simply turns as if it’s trying to open and then says “can’t play this right now check back later”. But never plays 

Charlie4495
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

SOLVED- The problem is the VPN being used if you are trying to access US sites from the UK. This was my problem. The US VPN I have with Surfshark used to work with no problem. Then as my post states it just stopped working. I can log in to Roku US, get the welcome back message, all the channels load up and tell me what is on. When I click on ANY that is when the error message pops up. What I found out having contacted Surfshark is they do not have a VPN that works (I tried New York, Miami etc all of them). So they did use to work but a block must have been put in place. So the work around is to use another VPN company. I did this using a free VPN (I am not naming it as it might get blocked) and it worked every time.

Hope this helps 

0 Kudos
Charlie4495
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If you are trying to access as US Roku site and not the UK Roku then it will block if not using a US VPN or if you are using a US VPN that is on their block list it will not work. So you need to use a VPN that is USA and not blocked by Roku. Search for free VPN's and try one. I did and my problem was solved. I posted the following

SOLVED- The problem is the VPN being used if you are trying to access US sites from the UK. This was my problem. The US VPN I have with Surfshark used to work with no problem. Then as my post states it just stopped working. I can log in to Roku US, get the welcome back message, all the channels load up and tell me what is on. When I click on ANY that is when the error message pops up. What I found out having contacted Surfshark is they do not have a VPN that works (I tried New York, Miami etc all of them). So they did use to work but a block must have been put in place. So the work around is to use another VPN company. I did this using a free VPN (I am not naming it as it might get blocked) and it worked every time.

Hope this helps 

0 Kudos
Goofy173
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Will Roku ever fix this problem? I use IPVanish. I'm in the US KY and connect to US servers such as Chicago and Atlanta and still the app won't work on my FireTV or even my brand new Firestick 4k. 

I will try to whitelist the Roku app in IPVanis when I get home tonight but I shouldn't have to do that since I don't with Pluto or Freevee. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Goofy173, there's no way to ascertain the reason for using a VPN whether legitimate or for purposes like trying to mask the user's true location.  That's one of the major reasons to use a VPN.  It will never be "fixed".

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
LennyC137

Jump to solution

Is there any news on this issue? I’m new to the party it seems, but it worked great until yesterday. Now nothing will play. I receive a message saying:

Playback Error

Unfortunately, we were unable to play this content. Please try again later. 

All shows do this when I try them. I was going to uninstall/reinstall process, but it does not seem to help others. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @LennyC137,

Thanks for joining us here in the Roku Community!

I appreciate you flagging us about this issue with The Roku Channel on Firestick.

If you're still experiencing the issue, give it a try by accessing it with the use of a mobile hotspot or any alternative network to see if that makes a difference.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jen-B
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just downloaded the Roku Channel onto a 4k Firestick. It loaded ok, opened, and I was able to log in but no programs would play. I get a Playback error and asked to try again later. 

0 Kudos