Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pabica
Reel Rookie

Tablo App Hanging after using the Back key after pausing video

This might be a Tablo issue, or a Roku issue..... 

1. Using the Tablo app play something, live TV, recording, just something
  2. pause the playback
  3. Wait until the Roku screen saver starts (not my default, just the flying purple “Roku” text
  4. press the back button on the remote (the one with the back arrow on the upper left of the remote ←
  5. the screen goes back to the last video frame from behind the paused screen
  6. hit the back button (again) to get out of this hang-up condition
  7. Bingo!! you got a winner!! black screen

The only escape from this is hitting the home button…

Latest Roku release, latest Tablo release…

Roku Premier+

Roku Streaming SStick 4K

From <https://community.tablotv.com/t/tablo-quad-roku-ultra-freeze/30302/21>

And, using the Roku media player...

With the Roku Media Player, playing from a DLNA server on my home network…  the same steps as above…   (presumably the Roku Media Player app uses the same core video display capability as the Tablo app uses, the play timeline graphic is identical)

Steps 1-4 above identically on the Roku and in step 5 the system works correctly…

1. Play an mp4 from a local streaming DLNA server
  2. pause the playback
  3. Wait until the Roku screen saver starts (the flying purple “Roku” text)
  4. press the back button on the remote ( ← )
  5. the screen goes back to the last video frame from behind the paused screen
  6. hit the back button (again)
  7. The Roku Media Player menu for "Resume"/"Play from beginning" appears
  8. The Roku Media Player app works normally

My simple conclusion is that:

1. It is likely true that the Tablo app uses the Roku media player functionality by calling some API somewhere…
  2. The Tablo does not handle the return from the Roku media player for some reason, and the Tablo does not correctly resume control of the Tablo app.

Who's fault? Not sure… but Tablo and Roku need to figure it out…

I posted this on both the Tablo and Roku groups…

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Tablo App Hanging after using the Back key after pausing video

Hello @pabica

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel didn't install properly, that it didn't update correctly, or that the installation has otherwise gotten corrupted. A reinstall may fix the problem, so give it a try. 

To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Let us know if this works for you!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
pabica
Reel Rookie

That process was #1 on my debug list....   update app.. update OS...  reset...  power cycle...  check other versions of the Roku (3) (also fail)...  and tried the Roku Media Player (works fine).... Updated the Tablo...  (still fails}....

sems to be a repeatable bug with the Roku / Tablo combination....

Also ran into issues with the Curiosity app...   similar...  

Thanks,

Bill...

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hi @pabica

Thanks for the update.

If the issue persists from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
azladi5
Reel Rookie

0 Kudos
BamaInArk
Streaming Star

Re: [OS 11.5] Tablo Quad/Roku Ultra lockup

Is there any updates to this issue?   Seems they've merged 2 topics on the same subject.   Seems to be getting a little worse for me.  Happening more often.

Everything still works but it's kinda troublesome when it happens.

One thing I have noticed is that most of the time after the lockup issue and I get back to the program to delete it it seems there is some kind of hangup with the deletion process.    Rather than being deleted fairly quickly the system seems to be much slower in the deletion process.  Sometimes it is taking so long I just hit the Back button to exit that menu.  Not sure if there is something going on with the Tablo software causing this delay or the Roku interface.

0 Kudos
BamaInArk
Streaming Star

Re: [OS 11.5] Tablo Quad/Roku Ultra lockup

For a bump....as of Feb 1, 2023 this issue it still occurring all too often.   Any movement on identifying and fixing the issue?

0 Kudos