Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hallscats

TV screen keeps going black

On CBS that plays on Paramont + just started going black and then coming back after a couple of minutes. Tried everything but it keeps doing it 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: TV screen keeps going black

Hi, @hallscats

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having a channel playback issue, and we'd be more than glad to assist. Kindly follow the troubleshooting steps below.

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the star (*) key on your remote, and choose "Remove channel".
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to "Streaming Store" on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
  4. You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

If the issue persists after performing the provided troubleshooting step, you may want to contact the channel provider's support directly and inquire further about this issue for a workaround that needs an update on their end to resolve this since most channels on the Roku platform are designed and maintained by the channel providers themselves.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ali1125
Reel Rookie

Kash;  I have same issue with ROKU 3930 SE, it happens on all channels, even ROKU channel.  I watch Netflis, ROKU, and FreeVee.  Many times it even goes black while reloading.  Light on device goes out when this happens. Then starts blinking during reload. And solid on when loaded.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ali1125,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

Have you tried restarting your Roku device to see if it helps? To restart, please navigate to Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

Please keep us posted if the issue persists.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ali1125
Reel Rookie

Thanks Chel;

Did the "RESTART" as directed.  Hope that works.  I will get back with either a positive or negative.

Right now it's hard to even use ROKU.  I also have that pesky COMMERCIAL FREEZE UP HAPPENING.  bUT THAT IS FOR ANOTHER THREAD.

btw  .....  Been a ROKU USER since 2011.  Never had so much trouble in the last 13 yrs as now.

0 Kudos
ali1125
Reel Rookie

Well, I'm back, and not a happy camper.  Screen continues to go black, with "NO SIGNAL" bouncy screen saver.  After about a minute, same O Same O.  Total reboot.  TWICE because box crashed again without even completing 1st reboot. 

Never restarts at RESUME point, have to scroll from beginning of show each time.  Forcing TWO MORE COMMERCIAL FREEZE OUTS.  Which also don't start at RESUME POINT.  More scrolling, more freezes, more blackouts, more restarts.

MORE FRUSTARTION AND AGGRAVATION.   50 minutes,  to watch a single 22 minute episode of "Billy the Exterminator" is ludicrous.

I'm no IT tech.  Just a 74 yr old retired carpenter.  But when I can't watch the ROKU Channel, on a ROKU box.  Seems to me that ROKU is the problem.  Just Say'in  

Help needed.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ali1125,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

We're sorry to hear about the experience. That's not what we aim for. Have you tried removing the channel, restarting your Roku player, and adding the channel back? To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System restart. (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.)

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Please let us know how it goes this time.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@ali1125, try using a different USB power adapter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.