Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oldfordfuy
Reel Rookie

Streaming Stick volume problem - volume lowers for several seconds whenever a popup comes on screen.

Model: 3820X - Streaming Stick 4K

Serial Number: X01700SS960V

Software Version: 12.5.0 * Build 4178-CU

Anytime a window pops up on the screen, the volume is reduced to a whisper for several seconds.  This happens on ALL apps and channels, including live TV.  If you press ANY button on the remote that brings up a menu or popup, the sound can barely be heard, but not intelligibly for 8-10 seconds. It also happens whenever a "Watch Next Episode" dialog pops up, as well as "Skip Intro" or ANY OTHER popup box. This is EXTREMELY annoying.  I now have to run closed captions all the time or miss dialog on the show, unless it doesn't have captions and then I'm SOL! 

This only started happening after the last couple of "updates;" the streaming stick used to work fine.  This is a deal breaker for me, I've bought several roku boxes and TVs over the years, and sung their praises to family and friends, but if this issue isn't fixed or I am made whole in some way, I'll never buy or recommend a ROKU to anyone ever again.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streaming Stick volume problem - volume lowers for several seconds whenever a popup comes on ...

Hello! @Oldfordfuy,

We're thrilled to have you with us here in the Roku Communiity!

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

A system restart is the least invasive reset method. Instead, a system restart is performed by removing the power cord from your Roku device for at least 10 seconds before plugging it back in. If reaching the power cord is inconvenient, you can also use the instructions below to perform a system restart from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home  on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

In either case, your Roku device will complete a system restart and hopefully return to normal operation after a moment.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Oldfordfuy
Reel Rookie

Re: Streaming Stick volume problem - volume lowers for several seconds whenever a popup comes on ...

I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't already tried restarting, unplugging for a couple of hours , removing from the tv AND power for a couple hours, etc.  

That being said, I've figured out the problem on my own.  Either an update or someone in my household (I have a 2-1/2 year old granddaughter that is fascinated with remote controls that may have been the "culprit") had turned on the "Screen Reader" under "Accessibility" settings.  Obviously, the screen reader wasn't reading the screen, but it was muting the volume.  This feature, unneeded by all but a very tiny minority of the population, is apparently too easily turned on by accident.  Just wanted to let the community know if they experience this problem to avoid the week of frustration I had trying to figure out what was wrong.  I do appreciate the ROKU folks giving the swift, boiler plate response that is always given for every kind of problem, though!

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @Oldfordfuy.

In this instance, you can press the star* button on your remote four times to turn off Screen Reader without navigating under the Settings option. 

Feel free to reach out again if you have further concerns. We'd be more than happy to continue assisting you in the best way we can. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
rar30a

Thanks very much for the issue solution 

I had the same problem 

0 Kudos