Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobertK291
Channel Surfer

Spectrum TV app buffering

Jump to solution

This has been going on for that last month or so. I’ve restarted all of the appropriate devices and spent much time chatting with Spectrum reps.  Their conclusion: It’s all Roku’s fault.  Their proof: I can run the app on my iPhone without experiencing any buffering. So I’m supposed to junk my Roku devices and simply cast to the TV. Or I can buy their Xumo device when it hits the market. What said Roku?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Spectrum TV app buffering

Jump to solution

Hi @RobertK291,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with your Spectrum channel since it's buffering. We're happy to assist you. Please try these troubleshooting steps below.

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Press home on your Roku remote, select settings, select system, and system restart.
  • Re-install the channel: Scroll down to search, put the name of the channel or app, highlight the channel, and select add channel.

If the problem still persists, please try to update the channel by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the star button on your Roku remote, and selecting Check for Updates.

Let us know how it works!

All the best,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @RobertK291,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with your Spectrum channel since it's buffering. We're happy to assist you. Please try these troubleshooting steps below.

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Press home on your Roku remote, select settings, select system, and system restart.
  • Re-install the channel: Scroll down to search, put the name of the channel or app, highlight the channel, and select add channel.

If the problem still persists, please try to update the channel by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the star button on your Roku remote, and selecting Check for Updates.

Let us know how it works!

All the best,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RobertK291
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Apologies,JohnB, I somehow posted this message twice. I’d remove one of I knew how. 

Anyway. I have removed and reinstalled the app several times. Spectrum points out that their app runs without buffering on my iPhone,  iPad, etc. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @RobertK291,

Thank you for informing us!

We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're having with the Spectrum channel, but we will need more details to further investigate. Is the issue happening on all content or channels, or is it isolated to one content or channel? (Specify) How far is your device from your network router? What device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV)

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RobertK291
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

1) It’s isolated to the Spectrum TV app. It’s also isolated to Roku. The app runs fine on other devices. 

2) I have two Roku devices. Both exhibit the problem. One device is about 4 feet from the router. The other is about 8 feet away, on the other side of an interior wall 

3) Roku Express 4k 3941RW

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @RobertK291

The channels on Roku are developed by the channel providers and are only designed with the system of the Roku OS, which is different from other platforms. This issue seems to be an outage or a bug that is now known since the buffering issue persists despite the troubleshooting performed. At this moment, continuing working with the channel provider directly is advised so they can address the issue. 

We hope the best for you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RobertK291
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Right. And, of course, Spectrum says the problem is on your end. 

Here’s a radical idea: Why don’t you have one of your developers talk to a developer at Spectrum and actually fix the problem?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

So am to have to replace both my Roku TVs? 
No seriously fix the bug. Spectrum is of no use to the consumer . Plus it’s just chat .

Spectrum blaming Roku. Get your engineers & programmers on this. Most annoying . 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

And yes I’ve reset my TVs, removed and reinstalled the app, rebooted both modem & receiver several times over the past two days and ALL MY CABLES ARE CONNECTED PROPERLY! 

0 Kudos
gabriels
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just hopefully fixed my same issue today. You need to check where your cable line comes into your house from the street. If you had yours installed many yrs ago you might have a cable splitter (junction box). I had mine split 5 ways. However, today I disconnected the splitter and rerouted the single cable to go straight to my modem. You only need 1 cable line as everything now runs off of wifi. I also noticed my cable line wire had been manufactured in 2001 which is a rg59 (old standard). There is a newer rg6 cable line that is shielded better thus offering a better bandwidth on your internet. So if I still get buffering Spectrum will have to come out and run a new line from the street pole to my house. I hope this helps you as I spent months researching this.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.