Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Several channels will not play

@Mike15522 

There are other things to try, but makes it difficult because each time you have to have Crowsnest make the necessary changes and then test the settings so probably just gets frustrating for you.

The four Roku Expresses did not fail all at the same time. (at least internally).  What has occured is there is some issue that has developed that is preventing these devices from working with your router or network settings.

At this point, I would either request a new router (to eliminate an internal issue unaffected by settings), or place the ISP modem/router in bridge mode and attach another router to the network that allows me to setup and make changes to my network.  If I was able to stream again, then confirms there is something with the router capability of the Ubiquiti.  (This is how I do things, but understandably people do not have extra routers laying around and want to narrow down issue).  However, really at this point to decide which hardware (the ISP router or the Roku device) is the culprit.

------

Let's try only what is available from your end.  Do you have an app to make any changes to your setup.  What are the options available to you if available.  Any pause/unpause features of app that you can see that could be preventing the Roku from connecting.  Something is specifically affecting the Roku device and the 2.4ghz band.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Mike15522
Streaming Star

AvsGunnar,

No, I don't have a spare router, or access to the settings on this one. Crowsnest did say they configured the router settings according to specs they got from Roku. I think before Crowsnest will replace this router, I'm gonna need something more concrete to go to them with.

Mike

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mike15522 

If you lease a router from an ISP and you have tried all the recommended troubleshooting from both the device side (Roku), which you have, and the ISP has made all the necessary changes (which it has) and the devices once worked (which they did), and they all stopped working with this router (which they have), and there are no other reports in the Community regarding recent problems with the Ubiquiti (which I don't see), then the ISP should have no problem sending a tech and testing the router or their internet signals at the various physical connections. 

Many internal processes occur from within the router that settings cannot always fix.  These are little computers that perform a lot of different specialized operations for every connected device.  Even a brand new one can be bad or fail in a number of different ways.  You don't always lose full function when they begin to fail or start having an issue.

The ISP can do a lot of things remotely, but sometimes need an actual tech on site to see if they are other contributing factors.  Once a tech is at house, will usually have no problem swapping a router to see if that will fix the problem.

---

I am not sure if still able to perform the following on the newest Roku update, but some Ubiquiti users reported a past issue with interference and the hidden (wifi direct) network produced by Roku devices for their remotes.  Because of the interference detection feature of some Ubiquiti, this would sometimes cause a disconnection of the Roku device as it switched channels.

From the Roku device see if you can disable "Device Connect".  (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Device Connect/Disable Device Connect).

The rationale for the above would be that the hidden networks are causing interference to the network and the Ubiquiti is changing channels preventing the Roku devices from maintaining a connection.  (This is kind of a stretch here, but really is the only setting on Roku that can be a contributing factor.)  May not be able to perform the above change any more though though if using a Roku wifi RF remote.  

----

Other than this, I think you have exhausted yourself of a remedy.  Of course, I do believe a dual-band Roku device would be a good next step.  This way, it should be able to connect to the 5ghz band without issue.  You could then also try it on the 2.4ghz band and see if you are experiencing the same problems that the 3931 Express is having.

Whatever you do, though, do not purchase another 2.4 ghz only Roku device.  You will need that dual-band capability to either potentially get around current issue you are experiencing, or to troubleshoot further.

0 Kudos
Mike15522
Streaming Star

AVSGunnar

Here's what transpired since Friday, 7/29. On that Friday, I bought a new Roku 4K box, brought it home and replaced the one on my kitchen TV with it. It worked just fine on the 2.4ghz and on the 5ghz channels. So I checked the other 3 Roku boxes on my other TVs, and all three were now working. So for the sake of testing, I disconnected the new Roku box, and reconnected the old one, which also now works fine. So I put the new one back on, still works. This morning, I realized I rechecked the old box on the new wires. So jus to make sure, I disconnected the new box again, reconnected the old box with the old wires, and it works fine. Reconnected the new one with the new wires, it works fine. Checked all three other TVs, they all work fine now too.
So, after having my ISP update and verify my internet, failed to resolve anything, the problem seems to have magically corrected itself. 
Of course that's sarcasm. Obviously the problem was a glitch on Rokus end, that their support team either was unaware of, or instructed not to admit to.
I know the Crowsnest people, and they would've been up front about it, they allways are. Roku, not so much.
Thankyou very much for your time & patience during this. 
Mike

0 Kudos
Mike15522
Streaming Star

At Roku

I cannot call this problem "resolved", as the problem was never identified, and therefore no fix established. Unless you folks know something you're not saying, this issue still exists in your system, just waiting to strike again.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mike15522 

Good to hear all is working again for you.

However, just because there was not an "instant" resolution with a setting or update does not indicate one way or another the underlying culprit.  Both your ISP router and the Roku device is undergoing nightly automatic software checks and updates.

This is what makes diagnosing ISP managed routers a little difficult to diagnose.  The user is often locked out of its settings and needs to rely on ISP intervention.  With personally owned equipment, this is not an issue as you can see what is going on, run independent tests, and control updates.

I still think it was an ISP issue with the way the previous firmware was handling your 2.4ghz band and its DNS resolution.  I don't think anyone intentionally hid/is hiding info.  Sometimes an issue is unidentifiable and an update, in one way or another, just resolves an issue unintentionally.  Many times, just waiting a period of time is necessary so everything resets and begins to sync/communicate properly again.

Generally, this is why a full troubleshoot requires removing the device from the existing network and trying on an alternative network or hotspot.  This is about the only way to conclude definitely one way or the other.  Without this, just left with guesses/suppositions.  

Hopefully, you are good to go from here.  As a bonus, at least you now have a dual-band device that will come in handy if issue returns and allows you to check connectivity on both bands.

Feel free to post an update if occurs again or need more help.

0 Kudos
Mike15522
Streaming Star

AVS Gunnar
I did still have the issue after the firmware update. I'm aware of the constant updates. And I understand how business works. If you can rectify an issue within the time you can keep em dancing, then it don't need to be in the public scaring off potential customers.
Yeah I'm a little cynical of em.

But again, thankyou. You've been alot more helpful & educational through this than Roku has been. And I come away from this with a whole lot better understanding of this system.

Mike