Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike15522
Streaming Star

Re: Several channels will not play

AvsGunnar, Crowsnest said they could separate the connections, I told them yes please. Will that solve the issue?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Mike15522 

That is my preferred setup with a network.  This way can manually place your devices on the network band of your choosing.  Your Roku devices will only connect to the 2.4ghz so better able to isolate issues and avoid conflicts with other devices.  Place as many of your other wireless devices as you can on the 5ghz band.

Have them confirm to you what your 2.4ghz settings are configured to when they seperate them. (Regarding Wireless Mode, Channel Selection, and Bandwidth/Channel Width). 

Hopefully, just seperating them will resolve any conflict the mesh may be producing. (Just name the two bands differently from each other so you know which one you are connecting to.  Passwords can remain the same.)

It may not immediately solve issue, but begins to eliminate possible culprits and narrow troubleshooting.

Remember to Restart router and Roku devices again after they perform the seperation.  On one of the Roku devices closest to the router, try a Network Connection Reset.  (Settings/System/Advanced System Setting/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).  After Roku restarts, go to Settings/Network and see if device is showing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Mike15522
Streaming Star

AvsGunnar,
Crowsnest separated the connections, I restarted the Roku box, had to reconnect. Went into set up network connections, search for networks brought up two, one labeled Crowsnest 2.4, I connected to that one, and it failed. So I restarted the modem, redid the network search, successfully connected to Crowsnest 2.4. 
Same problem persists, playback error.
Again as before, I can access the channels, select what to watch, the commercials even play, but as soon as the show starts, playback error screen comes up. This has been consistent through the entire mess.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mike15522 

Well, if able to connect to the network and get the commercials to play, then it is making an internet connection. (at least to the ad servers).  It sounds like it may not be opening ports to allow the streaming services in though when connecting on the 2.4ghz.

This usually indicates either a corrupted router (settings) or failing router. (Not always, but indicative).  You can hopefully rule this out by connecting your TV or laptop to the 2.4ghz band and try streaming these same channels.  

Also, try unplugging 2 of the Roku devices for awhile to let them release from the network.  Leave them unplugged and use the other two for troubleshooting.

There is a firmware revision available for this router, but it was working on previous firmware.  Usually does not hurt to try and update the firmware. (especially if there is a patch in the firmware).  Request the ISP push this one through.

---

Have you tried the hotspot option yet?

0 Kudos
Mike15522
Streaming Star

AvsGunnar,
I do not have data on my phone, or neighbors within a quarter mile.
My one TV has a built in Roku app, which runs through this router, and that still works fine. I'm thinking that rules out a failed router.
And I jus checked, I can stream jus fine through my computer.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mike15522 

If you are sure that the TV was connected to the 2.4ghz band when you tried to stream one of the channels you are unable to stream on the Roku device, then I would tend to agree that the router is probably ok.  And you have no app that has a "Pause" feature that controls device access?

That leaves a compatibility issue between the router firmware and the Roku devices. 

Generally, as long as the 2.4ghz is configured as follows, the 2.4ghz-only Roku device should be able to connect.

1. Radio is On/Enabled  
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting  
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)  
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz  
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.  (Ubiquiti programmed 1-11 only, set to Auto by default)

----

If a firmware update does not resolve it, then encountering an issue that has not been brought up before and maybe the Roku engineers will have to weigh in.  Only similar thing that comes to mind is when a router is configured to use IPv6 rather than IPv4.   Rokus currently only support IPv4 which again is a router setting.

The final steps I would do is request the firmware update that is available from the ISP, leave a couple of the Roku devices unplugged tonight, (not all of them), let the router undergo its nightly automatic check and lease renewal now that you had it reconfigured, and see if tomorrow you can connect.  Also would not hurt to disconnect router for a couple of mins again from power and let it discharge.

0 Kudos
Mike15522
Streaming Star

AvsGunnar,

Crowsnest says the firmware in all it's routers is up to date. They also said when they separated the channels, they checked the other settings. It is channel one, I saw that during one of the resets. I'll relay what you said to them, see if there's any missing points. I'm hitting frustration overload on this, so I'm gonna let the Rokus unplugged for a day or so, then restart/reset everything, including me.  I can still get Netflix & Hulu through my TV apps, that'll do for now. If all else fails, I'm thinking buy one new Roku box, and see what it does. Thankyou for trying to help.

Mike

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mike15522 

Yessir, sometimes have to take a break.

If you purchase a new Roku, try the Roku Express 4k+.  This will give you the ability to use the 5ghz band which should hopefully make your headaches go away.  

Good luck and feel free to post an update.

0 Kudos
Mike15522
Streaming Star

AvsGunnar,

Thankyou

0 Kudos
Mike15522
Streaming Star

AvsGunnar,
This is my latest correspondence with Crowsnest after sending them your last post, they consulted Roku as well, and there's nothing more they can do. The problem still persists. Not sure what I'm gonna do from here. The TV with the built in app, and my computer both still stream, so it's almost gotta be the boxes. All four at once is unusual, but we did buy all four within one month. Mebby I'll jus gamble the $30 and get one new one, see what that does. 
Mike

Crowsnest;
Sure I can run the firmware upgrade. It will take your connection down for about 10 minutes is that okay?

Me;
Yeah
Let me know when it's completed, please.

Crowsnest;
I actually ran it earlier this morning so it's all done. At this point if things continue to not work I would say it may just be the roku device itself. I spoke with a rep from Roku a couple times yesterday and he did mention that the roku's you have are an older base model so in my opinion they could just be on their way out but for all four at the same time seems like a big coincidence so some more troubleshooting may be needed. At this point however everything they've spoken with me about and shown you has been set up and done correctly.

0 Kudos