Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
decker12
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku has become worthless without proper frame rate matching

I haven't turned on my Roku Ultra in 12 months because it doesn't support 24.00 fps. 

Are you telling me after all this time, it STILL doesn't support 24.00 fps? If I plug it in to watch the new season of Rings of Power (don't judge, LOL), it'll STILL be a juddery skipping mess?

I've been using the awful WebOS apps on my LG TV all this time because even that terrible and ad-ridden built-in OS supports 24.00 fps.

That's hilarious, Roku. And sad, so very, very sad.

0 Kudos
Bacon
Roku Guru

Re: Roku without proper frame rate matching

For those wondering if this is fixed on the newest 2024 Roku Ultra, it ISN'T.

Thanks to LG8600User over at AVS for the below info.

"23.976/24.00fps output @ 23.976Hz
25.00fps @ 50.00Hz
29.97/30.00fps @ 59.94Hz
59.94/60.00fps @ 59.94Hz

This excludes the (classic mostly) 60.00Hz default bug @ 4:2:0 (once FRM happens this mostly switches to 59.94Hz). 4:2:2 doesn't seem to exhibit the bug."

lmacmil2
Streaming Star

It would appear that Roku has no interest in fixing this situation.  Either the hardware can't support exact FRM or the programming is too complicated.  They must not feel that the costs involved to fix it would not result in an acceptable ROI.

0 Kudos
Bacon
Roku Guru

It's more incompetence at this point.

0 Kudos
abbatazappa
Reel Rookie

I can tell you what does fix it: Apple TV. I've had it for about a month and no dropped frames on Netflix, no micro-stutters. I'm living in smooth-playing bliss. Bye bye Roku.

0 Kudos
bitz99

I was holding out hope that the new Ultra would fix this issue.  My old original 4K ATV handles it perfectly...  Movies on Netflix in 24fps stutter every 60-90 seconds, it's freaking annoying.

0 Kudos
phialek
Reel Rookie

The typical ignorance from roku to this topic is phenomenal.

At least Netflix and YouTube do change frame rate. Amazob prime, Netflix and Viki always stay at 60hz.

0 Kudos
Popeye13
Channel Surfer

Just noticed how bad the judder is on the Amazon Prime UEFA Champions League coverage here in the UK.

Produced at 50p but with no frame rate matching, it’s shakey, jumpy and unwatchable at the default 60Hz output, because we can’t force its output still! (And won’t trigger the HDR either, just SDR!) 

0 Kudos
lakerssuperman
Streaming Star

Why was this accepted as a solution?  It is functionally not a response to the specific issue being raised at best and at worst it doesn't show understanding of the question being asked.

This topic is about 24.000fps matching being added alongside the current 23.976fps matching.  25fps should also be added so it isn't played back at 50fps as well.

Bacon
Roku Guru

I didn't select it as the solution, but I've deselected it!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.