Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonyton
Reel Rookie

Roku player us shutting down my TV

I am getting very frustrated. Ive had this device for over three months with no issues. Suddenly its failing, when I switch my input to the roku device it kills my TV to the point I have to unplug the TV and plug it back on. It knocks out the TV causing it to freeze all buttons. Ive changed all the cables twice, I've restarted the Roku device a hundred times, I've reset it three times. Its not responding, it will not go into Home Screen. The TV works fine as long as its not connected to Roku so its not the TV. What am going to do with this, the store won't take it back?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku player us shutting down my TV

What's the model number written on the Roku device?  Is it plugged into the wall or the TV's USB port for power?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tonyton
Reel Rookie

Mod# 4802X

I've had this device since August of 23 and never had a problem until recently. The device is connected to a power strip as the cord is too short to reach an outlet. I have to unplug the Roku device as it gets super hot and there's no power button on it.

Please advise. I am very frustrated.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Since it doesn't use a USB power adapter, that rules out a common problem with Roku devices.  About all I can suggest is to try a different HDMI cable or try it on a different TV.  That may be grasping at straws, but bad HDMI cables can cause strange issues even if they're rare.  Beyond that, it is still under warranty.

Step-by-step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tonyton
Reel Rookie

Forget it, I'm fed up, I've tried everything, it keeps shutting down my TV everytime I switch to the Roku hdmi port(s)

Fk it, I'll take the loss, I'm tossing this **bleep** into the trash before it catches fire. Be warned everyone, these products overheat, there is no power button and it screws up your TV set 

I'm done with Roku

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Tonyton,

Thanks for the post,

We understand that you are reporting an issue with your device overheating. We're pleased to assist.

• Is your Roku device used in an enclosed location?
  • An overheating message is seen on the device.
  • Can we try powering your Roku device directly to the wall outlet? We just to check if there is a problem with the power strip.
  • How long does it take to see the error message while streaming (Minutes/Hours)? 

We recommend running down the checklist below and seeing if you can resolve:

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.

2. Find a cooler location for your Roku player; avoid placing the unit:

a. Inside a cabinet or other closed space;

b. On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers;

c. In direct sunlight.

3. Wait at least 10 minutes for your Roku player to cool down. Once cooled, plug the power cable back in and wait for the Roku player to power on. If you still see the overheating message, then immediately unplug the power cable.

4. Repeat step 3 one more time. If the problem persists, then you should stop using your Roku player until further action.

If the issue continues to occur. Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.