Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jsq86
Reel Rookie

Roku express audio not working

my roku express is currently hooked up to the tv in my bedroom (element) and it works fine. I want to connect it to my tv in the living room (TCL) but there is no sound. HOWEVER, the Roko loading screen (when the letters bounce around as it loads) has sound. I have tried different cables, different HDMI ports, restarting it while simultaneously unplugging the cable, turning up the tv volume, messing around with the audio in settings…nothing seems to work. And the fact that the audio works on the “loading” screen but nowhere else is suspicious and annoying. I don’t understand what the issue is? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku express audio not working

Hi @Jsq86

Thanks for reaching out. 

More than happy to help. Does the issue only occur when streaming on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? Does your Roku player is directly connected to your TV? Or through another device such as an audio/video receiver (AVR) or soundbar?

Here are some troubleshooting steps to try and resolve this: What to do if you do not hear sound from your Roku streaming player

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Jsq86
Reel Rookie

Hi Nimfa, 

There is no sound at all. There should be audio when navigating through the menus and channels but there is none. I opened both Netflix and Paramount+ - silence on both. 

the Roku is directly connected to the tv. I have a feeling it has something to do with the tv, since it works on all other TVs. And it is only the Roku that is not working properly as there is a cable box connected via HDMI cord that works fine  . 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jsq86

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried switching out the HDMI cable used to connect the Roku device, as well as using another HDMI port on the TV?

It's possible that there is a connection issue with that specific TV if the Roku device is working on your other TV.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jsq86
Reel Rookie

Yes, different HDMI cables and ports have been tried. 

i agree that’s it’s possible there is an issue with the specific TV, however, why is the audio working only on the Roku loading screen but not anywhere else? 

0 Kudos