Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smallwonder56
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra won't power on after being turned off

Jump to solution

My Roku Ultra (4800x) won't turn back on after we've turned it off (with the remote) unless I unplug the power and then plug it back in. It'll work as long as we're watching, but each time we turn it off, we'll have to unplug and plug back in again. I tried to report this to Tech Support but when I submitted the question it gave me an error message (saying there was an error in my submission) but wouldn't tell me what the error was and when I tried to find the path to submit a problem again, I could never navigate my way back there. Any ideas? I wish there was a phone number I could call but I suppose they're pretty smart not to let me do that.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra won't power on after being turned off

Jump to solution

You can't turn the Ultra off with the remote - you can only turn off the TV.  At best, it's going into a power saving mode and that's only if your Ultra has updated to software version 10.5.  You can check the software version under Settings->System->About.  If it has updated, you can turn off the new power saving option under Settings->System->Power.  Try pressing Home on your remote after the TV powers up.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Roku Ultra Losing Sound, Picture Freezing, and just Powers Down

Jump to solution

So, for no reason, my Ultra has been developing multiple issues:

1: Powers off instead of going to screensaver.

2: Sound will just stop working and the video will go silent.

3: Video will completely freeze up and not respond.

My method of dealing with this is to unplug, but even that doesn't work all of the time.  I check for software but it says I am up to date. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

You can't turn the Ultra off with the remote - you can only turn off the TV.  At best, it's going into a power saving mode and that's only if your Ultra has updated to software version 10.5.  You can check the software version under Settings->System->About.  If it has updated, you can turn off the new power saving option under Settings->System->Power.  Try pressing Home on your remote after the TV powers up.

smallwonder56
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll try that.

0 Kudos
smallwonder56
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That did the trick. I had to turn the power saving feature off completely, but I can get the Roku to work without unplugging it. Thank you so much for your help!

0 Kudos
Petrushka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You can also turn your Roku on (if the power savings mode is on)  by pressing the "OK" button on your remote a few times until the light comes on the Roku device, then turn your TV on. 

It would make more sense that if  when you use the ROKU remote to turn the TV on, it also brings the ROKU out of sleep mode.  

This seem to be bug with the version 10.5. 

kugiej

Jump to solution

Either a new software bug or eejit design on ROKU's part. Worse yet, it defaults to power save when you first start the device, or after a hard reset, and yet, the Roku remote will turn off both the TV and ROKU with its power button. When you power up again, only the TV comes on. That is a really bad glitch. Most ALL devices have standby/power save mode when not being used, but power right back up with the power button on their remotes.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@kugiej, the power button on the remote affects only your TV.  Roku devices don't turn off.  At best they go into a power saving mode that can be exited by pressing any non-TV control button on the remote.  I suggest pressing Home a couple of times before or after pressing the "controls only the TV" power button.  You can also turn off power saving which saves very little power and causes more trouble than it's worth under Settings->System->Power.

0 Kudos
troystanton70
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is a common issue with most or all Roku set top box devices. The fix is EASY all you have to do is go to Roku home on the device, go to settings, go to power and turn OFF (AUTO POWER SAVINGS) this will keep it powered up even after everything is shut off and should power everything back up normally without a reboot! YOUR’E WELCOME!! 👍🏻

Troy 

0 Kudos