Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra is Overheating consistently

Jump to solution

@mikew_nt, from you pictures, it doesn't look as though you got down to the CPU, just the can that covers the CPU.  I would guess that any thermal paste between the CPU and the can has dried out, but I'd still be surprised that it could cause the temperature difference you're seeing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
drgteye
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@mikew_nt  Saw those pics - thanks. Did u post more on reddit?  That thread has been deleted by the mods - probably some Roku employees that want to bury this problem. 

0 Kudos
mikew_nt
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@renojim Yeah, my thought too.  NO WAY there's that much of a difference.

I ran that Ultra with the top off for a while, and I can tell you, the can didn't get that hot.  Certainly not hot enough to be encasing a CPU that's running at 93C while idle.  I could keep my finger on it a good long while.  No frigging way I should be able to do that at 93C

The more I consider it, the more I think Roku's temperature measurement is buggy.

If you take off the can and replace the thermal paste, and you see anything significant, please report back.

But I'm with you.  It's a bad reading.

[edited to correct temps to Celsius]

0 Kudos
mikew_nt
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@drgteye nope, I only got one picture up on Reddit.  I was not aware the mod took down that post.

0 Kudos
mikew_nt
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@DeVoSr could you please mark this not solved since it's clearly not solved?  I believe you are only one that can reject the solution since you are the OP.

mikew_nt
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Sorry all, it's a Friday.  I meant to put C for Celcius.  The CPU is reporting 93C at idle

0 Kudos
AMradiohost
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm in the same family as those who have had the ROKU for years now, the Ultra unit.
Watching the "overheat" notice on my screen come and go throughout normal use tonight.

The unit performs well.  
The unit is NOT on top of any operating electronics.
The unit is powered by it's original supply, not a TV USB jack or aftermarket.
The unit is raised for air movement under by (2) small rubber feet depth in each corner to assist cooling.

I'm using it for TABLO TV app right now, but have seen it with other ones as well, and I have a hard time believing that the "content" app changes the operating temperature much, if at all. The CPU should handle any app approved for use on the TabloTV.

With this many complaints from this many people in this forum, can we all come to the conclusion we have a product that DEVELOPS an issue over time, and that ROKU needs to fix this.  The instructions for how to "fix this" (my phrase) are insulting to any person who knows technology.  It's the same instructions you'd give for any modern piece of electronics. Basically unplug, cool, reboot.  We deserve better than this for our investment in these supposedly "BEST" streaming boxes.  

I was one of the original users of the "Netflix Streaming box" when the very first one came out. I believe in the product, but...something is happening to more than just MY unit after reading this.  I don't believe we've been presented with an answer beyond our own experimentation and we deserve better from ROKU.

mikew_nt
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuJharra-Q would you be so kind as to mark your Solutions as Not Solved since clearly this problem is not solved?

To repeat what others have said here, it would be really super if Roku could just step up here and speak to this issue.  This is a real and legitimate issue that appeared suddenly after around the June update. There's a lot of troubleshooting info in here, and a lot of hints to what may be wrong, probably in the Roku software.  None of us have access to the software code, nor the hardware characterizations, that Roku has.

Either there is a bug which users have given some reasonable theories about that should narrow down Roku's investigation for a reasonably fast fix, or there is something much more serious going on where perhaps Roku should offer a free trade-in.

We are here to help.  Please take action on this and get us to resolution one way or another quickly please.

kottke

Jump to solution

Nothing really to add other than I’m having the overheating issue as well on my 2020 Ultra.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.