Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sujitm
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 2022 volume control does not work where as Roku 4K works

Jump to solution

I just got a Roku Ultra, I used to have a Roku 4k from 2019, and the remote that came with Roku 4K was able to control the volume on the Denon AVRX3700H.

This new Roku Ultra cannot control the volume on the AVR, I have CEC enabled on both. 

Firmware is up to date on both.

HDMI cable and HDMI Port is the same as the Roku 4K and Roku Ultra. I simply removed the old Roku and plugged in this new Roku.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Frostwolf
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra 2022 volume control does not work where as Roku 4K works

Jump to solution

Same here. Ultra is a downgrade from the Roku 4 so far.. use the Roku 4 remote on the new unit. It'll work again, at least it did for me.

The Roku 4 was a downgrade from the 3 as well. I may be returning this Ultra. I'm fed up with Roku, but the wife likes them.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Don't know what you mean by a Roku 4K. There's been many 4K versions of Roku players. There was a Roku 4 (no K attached to the name). That's why it's so important to specify the exact model number of your Roku.

I have three different versions of the Roku Ultra: the 4640, 4670, and 4800. All three control the volume of either the TV it's connected to (the 4670) or the AVR they connect to (4640 and 4800, both connected to Yamaha AVRs). All three use CEC, as I have not configured the remotes to use IR control. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
sujitm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, it is Roku 4, the first version that supported 4K, I think in 2019.

Yes, I understand that Ultra supports the controls through CEC and it is selected in both the Roku Ultra 4800 and the Denon, yet no luck.

I was wondering if I am missing a setting in Roku Ultra

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The Roku 4 (model 4400) was released in Oct 2015, so it's a seven year old design. Time flies, huh? 😄

Roku players only have a single setting to enable CEC. That's 1-Touch play, which is controlled under Settings/System/Control other devices. There is no other setting that affects CEC functionality. 

Dan

0 Kudos
sujitm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

2015 😀 

Yes "1-Touch play" is selected, if there are no other settings, I am going to return this one and try another Roku Ultra before looking for other options.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Ran into this tonight - exactly the same issue (replaced a Roku 4 with a 2022 Roku Ultra) which controlled TV power and receiver volume just fine, and while trying to get the remote to control my Yamaha receiver, the "set up remote for TV control" literally says "Note: Your Roku remote cannot be used to control the power and volume of other devices such as soundbars or A/V receivers".

What gives?

atc98092

Jump to solution

The Roku remote only contains codes for IR control of TVs. However, it will control your AVR using CEC, assuming your AVR has that function enabled. I've used Roku players on two Yamaha AVRs for many years, and the Roku volume control buttons have always worked using CEC.

Dan

0 Kudos
Frostwolf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same here. Ultra is a downgrade from the Roku 4 so far.. use the Roku 4 remote on the new unit. It'll work again, at least it did for me.

The Roku 4 was a downgrade from the 3 as well. I may be returning this Ultra. I'm fed up with Roku, but the wife likes them.

atc98092

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 4 (used by my granddaughter now) and several versions of the Ultra. No way I'd consider them a downgrade. The 4 does 4K, but no version of HDR. Every version of the Ultra does HDR, some do HLG and Dolby Vision as well. You play a UHD movie rip on the 4 and the image is really washed out because of the lack of HDR. 

Every one of my Ultra models (4640, 4670, 4800) controls either the TV or AVR sound via CEC, no IR configuration necessary. I don't know of any streaming player that includes a remote that will learn IR commands, and the ones that do support IR control it's only for TVs, not AVRs or Soundbars.  

Dan

0 Kudos
Frostwolf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The rechargeable remote that shipped with my Ultra actually says during setup that no sound bars or audio receivers are supported, it specifically says only TV volume can be controlled. Not using IR just CEC/HDMI. Using the Roku 4 remote restores the sound control.

Maybe they downgraded what remote they're supplying.