Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express Distorted Sound. Have to restart every time I use

@RangerDoc

Thanks for the follow up.

When connecting a Roku device to a home theater system, it's hard to determine if the issue is with the actual Roku device or the home theater system. Connecting the Roku device directly to the TV to see if the issue persists helps us investigate and removes variables that could be a causing the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Chris11
Channel Surfer

My Roku Ultra 4k has been connected directly to my 4k TV with very good HDMI cables and connected both with cat6 and cat7 wired internet and wireless with high end modems and routers. I have upgraded everything except the Roku Ultra, tried different combinations, different TVs, and even switched internet service since my distorted sound problems started. I have tried every suggestion made here and in other forums as well as technical support people. I've done all the software updates to all of my equipment including the Roku. I have also connected it through my relative new Onkyo receiver, nothing works for me. The problem is exactly the same as the day it first started the distorted sound which was a few months after I bought the Roku. I could make it go away for a day or two, then it always came back.

I finally solved the problem by buying the latest Fire TV Stick 4K Max device right after it came out even though I do not have Wi-Fi 6 which I find no need for at this time. My older Fire TV Stick 4K worked fine as well but I needed one for another room with a TV that is used daily. Best $30 I've spent in a long time, got it on sale or it would have been like $50. Very small learning curve, remote is smaller and I find it harder to control than the Roku remote which Roku got right, but you get used to it after a day or two. I have wireless ear plugs that pair perfectly with the Fire so as not to bother others while I listen to TV or music via the Fire Stick and more free apps that I can ever watch including a Roku TV Channel that gives me access to all of their content for free that I had before. Currently I am a very happy camper, now if I could just get the Roku remote to work with the Fire Stick...

0 Kudos
RangerDoc
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

Seriously?!!!

That response is EXACTLY the kind of pass the buck **bleep** that we've complained about.

My Roku is connected to a $1100 Onkyo receiver. The receiver ain't the problem. Literally 5 other devices work flawlessly.

You have all but sealed the deal for me to abandon Roku. Between the continued **bleep** support (lack thereof), the HDCP error that persists after years, and now this audio issue.

Goodby Roku, hello Apple TV.

Chris11
Channel Surfer

Before this gets shut down, lol, I would like to say I've tried the AppleTV and hated it for a few reasons. I am an Apple fan, since iPhone 4, now rocking a 13, on my 3rd iPad, just got a pro back on Black Friday and I subscribe to AppleTV service but don't use their equipment. My brother has the NVidia Shield Pro and there is nothing like it (check out the comparison chart with Apple, Fire & Roku on their website), but I didn't want to spend $200 for streaming. He is also a gamer so gets his money's worth I guess. He keeps harping on me when he sees my Roku and says "get a Shield" to which I reply "when you buy me one" and I'm still waiting. BTW, paid less than a grand for my Onkyo with tax, another grand or so for a new iPhone and then over $500 for an iPad, so I'm tapped out or I would get an NVidia Shield instead of the $30 Fire Max which works great with more options than any other device out there, plus I'm now a Prime Business Member already for my company, it's a no brainer for me. Also Ranger, I completely understand your frustration with Roku Tech NON-Support, this problem is NOT new and they still have NO answer. No disrespect to RDannyR, but please find some answers and get this issue fixed or Roku will lose more than me and @RangerDoc very fast.

benning331
Reel Rookie

I have read through this whole thread and all ROKU support does is continue to request the same information that is being presented over and over again by the customers. I am of course having the same issue and tried an entirely different ROKU streaming stick connected the exact same way as the one with distorted audio with the same app and didn't have an issue. Plugged the problem streaming stick back in and the problem returned. These are both the same model, with the problem ROKU being used more frequently as the only difference. How do I proceed with a defective unit replacement?

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @benning331,

Thanks for the post.

I'm sorry to hear about the audio issue experience, that's not what we aim for. Is the issue you are experiencing only happen on a specific channel or does the audio issue happen on all channels? Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? How long has the issue been occurring?

Once we have this information, I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
benning331
Reel Rookie

Hello,

Yes, it happens with all channels I watch.

It has been happening for the last 2 months.

Serial: YH00GE877022

Device ID: 25399G877022

Model 3811X - Roku Streaming Stick +

Software Version 11.5.0

Thanks,

Sean

JDR2K

Re: Roku Distorted Sound During Playback - Restart Helps Temporarily

I have an Ultra with a new samsung QLED TV.  This issue happens periodically out of nowhere.  Often I am in the DirectTV Stream App but it also happens in HBO MAX, Netflix, Prime etc. ..even Apple TV. 

The solution on most of these is to actually either fastforward or rewind for 30 seconds and it resets the audio audio somehow..word, exit the app, last resort, reboot the Ultra...

Has anyone found any fix or admission even of this seemingly very common issue?  Was rock solid for years on the previous Samsung TV of an older generation. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Distorted Sound During Playback - Restart Helps Temporarily

Hi @JDR2K,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us about the behavior you are seeing with your Roku device and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far. 

We'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help but we need more details. Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

• Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar with your TV/Roku player setup?
  • have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue?
  • Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device?

Once we have these details, we'll be able to assist you further from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos