Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekinaustin

Re: Roku Express Distorted Sound. Have to restart every time I use

I have had ROKU Express (until recently without 5G network support) for four years in two locations.  I had the garbled sound problem initially with Spectrum internet service and my own wifi router.  Excellent signal strength and available bandwidth, but still the problem persisted.  I moved and, with the same Roku Express, had AT&T as my ISP and used their wifi router.  The garbled sound problem went away.  After a year, I switched to Spectrum again (again with my own NEW wifi router) and, lo and behold,  the garbled sound problem returned. I thought it might be the 2.4G network connection ("good"  quality per Roku network statistics) so I bought a new Roku Express that supported 5G.   The new 5G connection is  classified as "excellent" quality per Roku network statistics.  Still the garbled sound problem persists.    So, there are three potential sources of  the problem for me:  Spectrum internet service (in two different locations:  100 Mbps download and now 400 Mbps download), my own wifi routers, and Roku.  I have tried switching between 2.4G and 5G networks without solving the problem.  I am wondering if there is something in the way they handle traffic for non-Spectrum wifi routers that is potentially causing the audio problem with Roku.   I am almost ready to pay Spectrum extra for their wifi router, or try another streaming device.  I have to believe that Roku understands the nature of the problem but is unwilling to identify it  openly  for fear of losing customers.  

Update:  as another forum participant suggested, I used the Roku ap's remote function from my phone rather than the physical Roku remote to control the Roku Express stick for over two hours last night.  I watched Netflix and had no recurrence of the garbled sound issue.  I will continue to monitor and see if that 'fixed' the problem permanently.  

Final update:  after appearing to keep the sound from getting garbled for three days, the sound got garbled again despite using only the Roku ap on my phone as the remote.  I am done with Roku and have moved on. 

0 Kudos
connie6344

Distorted sound quality on my Westinghouse Roku tv

I'm jumping onto this thread because I'm having the same issues..

I have a Westinghouse Roku 43 TV

This issue is on any channel I want to go to. Netflix, live tv, movies that Im watching from my laptop etc. I can pause the stream many times and sometimes it stops the distorted sound. But not often.

I've tried unplugging the Tv, unplugging my HDMI cable etc and it's only a temporary fix. 

This has been happening for about 6 weeks. I've had the TV for just over a year.

I've resorted to using my laptop speakers but that's not the greatest sound quality.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Distorted sound quality on my Westinghouse Roku tv

@connie6344

Thanks for the post.

Does this issue only occur on the Netflix channel or does it happen across all channels that you play content on?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KCUltra
Reel Rookie

Hi all,

FYI - the problem has disappeared, for quite some time now, on my Roku Ultra.  None of the suggested remedies ever fixed it permanently, but after fencing with it for months, I just realized (knock on wood) that the problem has not been experienced for months now...  I assume a system update fixed it at some point...

Ken

firstgentrekki1
Reel Rookie

I also found that the startup problem in my Roku Express disappeared with the latest update. Now I have another problem, but I'm reasonably sure it's a static problem somewhere in the extension cord or the power cord or the HDMI cord to the tv.

RangerDoc
Channel Surfer

Adding my own experience here as I'm seeing this now also. Its happened four times. Each time a Restart is the only way to fix it.

Roku Ultra 4K to Onkyo TX-NR7100 to Sony XBR-65X900F (video only).

I'm about ready to toss out my Roku. I like the Roku UI better than AppleTV, but I've had so many issues with Roku that this just adds to my frustration.

firstgentrekki1
Reel Rookie

Thanks for this. I had been thinking of "upgrading" to the Ultra 4K, but if it has problems, too, that's not much of an upgrade. What other boxes are out there besides Apple? I don't have any Apple products and don't want to get into that world.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RangerDoc

Thanks for the post.

If you connect your Roku device directly to your TV, do you still see the issue persist?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
firstgentrekki1
Reel Rookie

It is directly connected via an HDMI cable. What other options are there?

0 Kudos
RangerDoc
Channel Surfer

I don't connect my Roku directly to the TV.  I did when troubleshooting the stupid HDCP error, but not recently. And I'm not going to crawl around and move my entire home theater again to try and fix the Roku. I can easily reach the power plug on the Roku and I put it there as a necessity for this device.

Y'all need to fix it. It is NOT unreasonable to expect that folks have their Roku devices connected through a home theater. And I do.

All my components are moderately high-end, name-brand, components so expecting the Roku to work should NOT be unexpected.

0 Kudos