Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Network error Roku channel

Jump to solution

As @TroyKelso reported, seems like the Roku outage is resolved.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
AngryFeline
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks. As of 10:40pm EST all my Roku content is back loading, including subscriptions. 

AvsGunnar

Re: Roku won't load content and everything is connected

Jump to solution

The Roku outage seems to be resolved now.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/SERVICE-INTERRUPTION-The-Roku-Channe...

AngryFeline
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well glad you know what your preferences are. Yes other premium channels can go down too. The point to be made by my post is that other premium channels have far far superior support options when they are disrupted, allowing customers to avoid the wasted time (&angst) of endless troubleshooting & reading reams of suggestions to fix the problem & jumping through those hoops in order to find out if they were worthy of requesting a support chat.

It also  doesn't take 3 hrs for a post from someone official from a premium channel to say it's a system disruption on their end.

Ive received automated emails from premium channels advising they had a problem & asking for patience within 15 minutes.

Ive also never found myself  being 235th in line waiting to get a support chat started from tech support either. 

Roku has a long way to go with support services. 

So it's fixed. Yippee. Till next time. 

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@AngryFeline 

Certainly won't argue regarding Roku customer support.  The fact that the other linked thread posting updates was locked from user interaction is telling in itself.  Roku was simply going to post updates there and did not want to see users posting "me too" or really want to bother dealing with user reports.  Equivalent to just rolling their eyes and saying "We know there is an issue".  I guess that's one way of handling things.  Other companies would choose to pin a prevalent posting in their support forum or website alerting users of the issue. (this is not the Roku way).

As for @Portalogem's suggestions, this user made some valid points.  With streaming, it often is a better idea to subscribe directly with the content provider rather than through Roku when offered as an option.  By direct subscription, allows the user to either use a different platform (different streaming device) or sometimes going straight to the provider's website and watching the content there.  (and then casting to your Roku device or TV or using an HDMI cable to the TV from a laptop). 

When subscribing through Roku, you are generally limited to the use of the subscriptions on the Roku device. (apparently, there are now some new exceptions to this, like Disney related subscriptions which I have recently been made aware).

Many users choose to have multiple streaming devices and platforms so when there is an issue, they can just switch to another device and hopefully resume their viewing.  Personally, I will just switch to another channel/app or bring up the content on my laptop and then connect to the TV in such situations.  Need to remember these streaming devices are really just little micro computers and are prone to issues from time to time.

Certainly understand that the above issues can be frustrating to users, and not helped by perceived poor customer support and interaction, but in the big scheme of things, it really is just television.

specksw
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It’s back on for me!

MonicaRo

Jump to solution

I updated earlier tonight, after restart noticed some issues using the Search option on the main menu. Checked Roku Channel and no titles were showing up. Opened HBO Max and watched It Pt. 1 fine and then midway through It Pt. 2, it froze up and showed service not available error message. Tried Disney+ app and got not connected error message. Checked my wireless network connection and was connected with excellent connection. Checked for channel updates, any other SW updates and restarted Roku express multiple times. Still unable to access Roku Channel app, HBO Max or Disney+ (haven't tried every app). Any advice for my situation?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am still having the same problem. It hasn't worked since 5pm yesterday.  I'm in Georgia.  We just bought a roku express and some paid channels n can't watch them. 

0 Kudos
AngryFeline
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Great points, all. Thank you. 👍

0 Kudos
Maudia
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku channel won’t load at all. Blank boxes appear.

Jump to solution

I just switched out a Roku 2 for Roku express and I am having the same problem. The other Roku Express I have is not having this problem. I checked for updates on the one that is working and noticed an updae is available, but I will not update since it seems from online comments that the update is the problem. Where is Roku on this??!!!!

0 Kudos