Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TDF123
Reel Rookie

Premiere Overheating Issues

Jump to solution

I have seen several posts on the Premiere overheating and generally the response is to follow the instructions to unplug, let it cool down and start using again making sure the device is not on a heat source.  The instructions indicate to stop using if the error continues after following the steps.  I have done all of the steps and still am getting the online overheating messages.  Any other things to do other than stop using the Roku?  This is not a great solution when the Roku is used to get video to my office TV.

Thanks,

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Premiere Overheating Issues

Jump to solution

Hi, @TDF123 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand the issue you have experienced with your Roku device having an overheating issue, and we're here to help. 

Some Roku players have a white light on the front of the unit and you may see this light turn SOLID RED (not flashing) if too hot.

In addition, when your Roku player is too hot, a warning message saying, “Your device is overheating” will appear in the corner of the screen.

To resolve this issue, kindly follow the steps below:

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.
  2. Find a cooler location for your Roku player; avoid placing the unit:
    1. Inside a cabinet or other closed space;
    2. On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers; 
    3. In direct sunlight.
  3. Wait at least 10 minutes for your Roku player to cool down. Once cooled, plug the power cable back in and wait for the Roku player to power-on. If you still see the above message, or the Roku player shows a SOLID RED LIGHT, then immediately unplug the power cable.
  4. Repeat step 3 one more time. If the problem persists, then you should stop using your Roku player.

For more information, you can visit this support article on What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message

We hope you find this information useful, and feel free to let us know if you have further concerns or inquries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @TDF123 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand the issue you have experienced with your Roku device having an overheating issue, and we're here to help. 

Some Roku players have a white light on the front of the unit and you may see this light turn SOLID RED (not flashing) if too hot.

In addition, when your Roku player is too hot, a warning message saying, “Your device is overheating” will appear in the corner of the screen.

To resolve this issue, kindly follow the steps below:

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.
  2. Find a cooler location for your Roku player; avoid placing the unit:
    1. Inside a cabinet or other closed space;
    2. On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers; 
    3. In direct sunlight.
  3. Wait at least 10 minutes for your Roku player to cool down. Once cooled, plug the power cable back in and wait for the Roku player to power-on. If you still see the above message, or the Roku player shows a SOLID RED LIGHT, then immediately unplug the power cable.
  4. Repeat step 3 one more time. If the problem persists, then you should stop using your Roku player.

For more information, you can visit this support article on What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message

We hope you find this information useful, and feel free to let us know if you have further concerns or inquries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TDF123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Did you read my original email?  It indicated I have tried all of the steps recommended in the two posts you left today and I am still getting the overheating message.  Is there any other solutions to try other than throwing away the Roku Premiere unit and buying another streaming device?  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@TDF123 

While my Premiere+ device (3921) never actually overheated, there seemed to be a number of Roku users with their Premiere (3920) devices that included overheating.

When mine did start to get pretty high in the temps as indicated through a hidden menu screen, I took it apart and placed some thermal paste on processor.  It did lower the operating temps and I still use it today without issue.

Since mine previously ran hot even with regular HD content, I am sure 4k would stress it even more.

If your Premiere is under a year, should qualify for warranty replacement. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

If over a year, then replacing your device with a newer model like the Roku Express 4k/4k+ (3940/3941) would be a better option than another Premiere.  The 3941 is currently on sale for $30. https://www.roku.com/products/players

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
TDF123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'll probably end up buying another Roku ... or maybe a Firestick.  It is just frustrating when they don't stand behind their products or support helping customers when they have a known design flaw even for a little longer than a year.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.