Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikejapan

Picture is too big for my tv screen until I reboot system

Every time I turn on my tv in the morning the picture is too big for my screen. Only after I reboot the whole system does the picture again fit the tv screen. I have a newer 55 inch Samsung tv. I did not have this problem before I started using the Roku.

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Picture is too big for my tv screen until I reboot system

Hi @Mikejapan

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue occur on your Roku home screen or does it start when you launch a channel? What's the model number of your device? It can be found in Settings > System > About. With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
rdilloway8
Channel Surfer

My picture is too big for screen also. It .happens on launched channels (not home screen). my model # is 3820X. serial # X01700791807.  I just got this new roku stick. I have a samsung 4k smart tv.  please help.

Rita Dilloway

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @rdilloway8

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku stick? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
rdilloway8
Channel Surfer

It is plugged into  a surge protector strip outlet, not TV.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@rdilloway8  What size is your TV? When you setup your Roku it finds the optimal size for your TV. Did you do that? If not you can redo it. 

1. Press the Home button on the remote to access the Roku home screen.
  2. Use the arrows to highlight the Settings menu.
  3. Enter the Settings menu and select the Display type option.
    auto detect
  4. Use the arrows to select the desired resolution.
0 Kudos
rdilloway8
Channel Surfer

I put display type at 4k TV. (only one where I got all check marks)  when putting on auto detect I got this window (see attatchment). working at the moment. thanks for your help. will let you know if things change.ROKUtv.jpg

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@rdilloway8  What happens when you leave it on “auto detect”? All my Roku devices are on auto detect

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@rdilloway8 

You Stick is 4k, your tv is 4K, but is the tv resolution set to 4k? If you're trying a 4k signal from the Roku on TV set to 720 you get blown up picture. The Stick is it directly connected to the tv? or through a hdmi switcher? Do you have hdmi extender connected that isn't rated for 4k? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
rdilloway8
Channel Surfer

I'm still getting an oversized picture. no where on my samsung TV is there a place to set the resolution. I did change my picture size to 'fit to screen'(was on 16:9).  The stick is directly connected.   I really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos